Author Topic: Speedtest safe to use on iPad?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Speedtest safe to use on iPad?
« on: Sunday 02 April 23 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I have a couple of favourite games that I play on my iPad.  I have trouble running one of the games; it freezes (I’m not the only one who has problems with the game). I followed their instructions to resolve my problems (closing other applications, removing the game, etc.).  Nothing has worked.  Now I’m being told to use a speedtest and then send them a screenshot of the network quality. (I don’t know if I’m allowed to use the exact name here.)

My question: would something like this be safe to do - running the test, then sending them a screenshot of the results? I don’t trust anything about the internet after receiving viruses, etc. (years ago).  Any guidance would be very appreciated.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Speedtest safe to use on iPad?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 23 10:06 BST (UK) »
Depending on my inclination at the time!, I use one of the folowing

https://broadbandtest.which.co.uk/

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest

https://fast.com/

The BT engineers here  seem to favour/recommend the  fast.com one

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 April 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gadget.  I think I may go ahead and try running the test at least.  Perhaps once I’ve done that, then I can determine if it would be safe to send a screenshot of the results to the game’s “help people”. Thank you.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 23 07:31 BST (UK) »
Can't see why they'd need a screenshot of the results, Lisa. I'd just tell them the results; I don't think there could be any harm in that. For example, I just did a test now and my results were 49.3 Mbps for downloads and 18.3 Mbps for uploads. (I'd do a test that gives both figures; some only give download speeds.) There's probably some indication on the home page of the game as to what internet speed is needed to play it. They probably just want to rule that out as a reason for the trouble you're having.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 23 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply, Peter.  We lost our first computer (two computers? I don’t remember) to problems from the internet.  I didn’t run backups and I ended up permanently losing an incredible amount of emails that contained family history that could not be recreated.  Many years later, I still don’t trust the internet.

In their instructions, they actually mentioned what was needed to run the game (connection speed not lower than 30mb/s and ping should not be higher than 20ms).  I will check tomorrow (it’s 1:30 am here).  ;)

Thank you for your suggestion and help, Peter.  You and Gadget have encouraged me to go ahead with the test.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 23 09:52 BST (UK) »
I was curious so I just ran the test (using fast.com).  I don’t know if this is good or not so good, but
Internet speed is 380Mbps, and
Latency - Unloaded 20 ms  loaded 40 ms
Upload speed 37Mbps

:-\

Added: I just closed a couple of applications (photos, email, one game) and now the speeds are
410 Mbps.  17 ms    60 ms   39Mbps

I almost always close everything before I play any game.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 23 10:01 BST (UK) »
That looks OK - maybe download is slightly low compared with upload. Perhaps test on another PC.  What do your suppliers say is the maximum  that they supply.

I have one PC that is usually about 450-500 up and 60 down and on this laptop - a  good distance away from router and through stone walls - 200 and 50.  I'm on a 500 down deal.

Add - I didn't see your add.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 23 10:08 BST (UK) »
It also depends on your device's spec.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 April 23 10:19 BST (UK) »
Oh boy, I’ve lost you a bit.  Um, I think our router is next to the television, which is a few feet away from me right now (I don’t go upstairs for the night until I finish with RootsChat - I also only play games when I am in the living room - the internet is incredibly slow upstairs).

Test on another PC…to check what speed it has, in case there is a problem with my iPad?  I can check my son’s laptop tomorrow, after he returns from work.

Note:  I am in the process of getting a laptop or a new iPad.  Perhaps I can transfer the game once I buy the new device.

Thank you for asking the questions, Gadget.