Author Topic: Evan Mawdesley and Bridget Fletcher, Croston, Lancashire 1750s  (Read 532 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Mawdesley and Bridget Fletcher, Croston, Lancashire 1750s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 09:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, Bridget did die 23 days after Evan, so not sure why the question mark - but these must have been taken from the parish register entry from the Croston Parish Register burial entries (given in an earlier post). The burial records at that time were amazingly detailed giving date of death, and burial, cause of death, and area of burial in the Churchyard.

It would be great if all burial registers were like these!

Thanks for these details Garstonite - a huge coincidence for me actually - as I have ancestors named Rutter from Croston Parish - but not a Thomas.

The original poster has not responded yet - possibly because we haven't been able to answer the actual query of finding a marriage between Evan and Bridget!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 13:11 BST (UK) »
There is indeed a Bridget Fletcher bapt 27 May 1733,  St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk
Parents THOS/ALICE
Abode Burscough

Possible Marriage 29 Jan 1716/7, Bury to Alice MAUDE

They may have bapt 6 children Bolton le Moors 1717-1726
Then Ormskirk
Bridget 1733
Ellin 1735
Cath 1736/7
Henry 1738/9
Henry 1741
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
Trish - the baptism of Bridget Fletcher in Ormskirk - abode Burscough, has been mentioned previously on this thread.

I suspect that because the given name of 'Bridget' was fairly unusual in those times (apart from in Ireland!!) - an assumption has been made by the poster, that the Bridget mentioned on the baptism and on the burial of the child who sadly died - was indeed Bridget Fletcher. Her mother was named Alice - and Evan and Bridget named a child Alice.

I suspect they have looked for a 'Bridget' born in a same or nearby area at the correct approximate time. A balance of probability.

Still can't find a marriage though!

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 10:12 BST (UK) »
Fair enough, yes I see your point and yes no marriage obvious.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)