Author Topic: Translation of Manorial Record  (Read 254 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Translation of Manorial Record
« on: Sunday 02 April 23 22:26 BST (UK) »
Is anyone here able to help translate this entry from the manorial records of Amberly Manor in Sussex. It is an admission relating to the Tribe family. I can read the names Maria Tribe [widow I think], Christopher Tribe, Jana [Jane?] Tribe, Elizabeth Tribe [daughter of Maria and Christopher?] but I am struggling with the rest.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks everyone.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Manorial Record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 April 23 22:58 BST (UK) »
At this court the lord of the aforesaid manor, through his aforesaid steward, granted from his hands, immediately after the death or forfeiture of Mary Tribe (lately the wife of Christopher Tribe), to Jane Tribe and to Elizabeth Tribe (daughters of the aforesaid Christopher and Mary) for the term of their lives and successively to the one who lives longer, one acre of land lying at … (incomplete)

(Christopher Tribe is dead, his widow Mary is the tenant, and after her death or surrender of the property, it is to go to the daughters Jane and Elizabeth.)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 23 01:57 BST (UK) »
At this court the lord of the aforesaid manor, through his aforesaid steward, granted from his hands, immediately after the death or forfeiture of Mary Tribe (lately the wife of Christopher Tribe), to Jane Tribe and to Elizabeth Tribe (daughters of the aforesaid Christopher and Mary) for the term of their lives and successively to the one who lives longer, one acre of land lying at … (incomplete)

(Christopher Tribe is dead, his widow Mary is the tenant, and after her death or surrender of the property, it is to go to the daughters Jane and Elizabeth.)

Hi Bookbox

Many, many thanks for that. This image is half of the original [I had to crop it in two as it was too big to be posted as one image. I will add the other half tomorrow.

This is really useful and appreciated.

Thanks again.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 23 15:49 BST (UK) »
Here is the second part of the record which was missing from my first post. The two images probably overlap slightly.

I am having to post this in sections due to the file size. Part 3 next.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
Part 3 here. This should continue from the end of the previous image.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 23 16:13 BST (UK) »
Parts 2 and 3 together
… one acre of land lying at Lyme Street with appurtenances; to have and hold the aforesaid premises with appurtenances to the aforesaid Jane and Elizabeth for the term of their lives, and successively to the one who lives longer, immediately after the death or forfeiture of the said Mary, at the will of the lord, according to the custom of the aforesaid manor, for rent and services thence formerly due and by right accustomed; and she gave to the lord three pounds as an entry fine.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 23 20:56 BST (UK) »
Parts 2 and 3 together
… one acre of land lying at Lyme Street with appurtenances; to have and hold the aforesaid premises with appurtenances to the aforesaid Jane and Elizabeth for the term of their lives, and successively to the one who lives longer, immediately after the death or forfeiture of the said Mary, at the will of the lord, according to the custom of the aforesaid manor, for rent and services thence formerly due and by right accustomed; and she gave to the lord three pounds as an entry fine.

Many thanks for this Bookbox. Now I can work out how this Christopher fits into my tree.

Matt