Author Topic: NZ Shipmasters Association records?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NZ Shipmasters Association records?
« on: Monday 03 April 23 05:56 BST (UK) »
The New Zealand Shipmasters Association offices  in 1890 were located at 20 Grey Street, Wellington.  The Association had a membership of 106 members.  One of the Members of the Committee of Management was Captain Meades [James Meades].
(Source: Press Volume XLVIL Issue 7664, 23 September 1890, Page 5)

Question: Where would I be likely to find information about the NZ Shipmasters Association which might contain additional info on Captain Meades?

Additional information:
I am researching Capt James Meades [aka Meads].  He was born in 1851 is the Isle of Wight.  He was the Mate on the ship "Dahlia" which arrived in Port Chalmers via Bluff in early 1879.  Following a dispute over wages he was discharged [Otago Daily Times 22 April 1879, Page 3].

In May 1879 he joined the Union Steam Ship Co as 2nd Mate on the "Ladybird" and was with the Company until April 1891.  He was Captain of the "ss Wanaka" which stranded near Waitara and he was later dismissed from the Company. [Info from USSC records, Wellington City Council Archives]
He went onto Captain other vessels.

Around 1904/1905 he was working as a Labourer with the Waihi Gold Mining Company Ltd, Waihi.
He died on 13 May 1910 at Waihi and is buried in an unmarked grave in Waihi cemetery.
He left a wife and two sons in Portsmouth, England.  Details not recorded on Death Registration.

Any assistance appreciated.

TPB

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: NZ Shipmasters Association records?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 23 07:43 BST (UK) »
Have you thought about contacting: https://www.maritimemuseum.co.nz/ or searching http://www.nzmaritimeindex.org.nz/
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 23 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Twiggy Tree thanks for your posting.
I have contacted the Maritime Museum and checked the Maritime Index with no success.

TPB

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 23 23:46 BST (UK) »

Question: Where would I be likely to find information about the NZ Shipmasters Association which might contain additional info on Captain Meades?
TPB

Hi

Can you give us more detail please, on exactly what type of information you are hoping to find for Capt. James MEADES ??

We may be able to point you in other directions.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 23 23:56 BST (UK) »
Not NZ Shipmaster's Assocation records .... BUT >

Archives New Zealand have this  >

https://collections.archives.govt.nz/en-GB/web/arena/search#/entity/aims-archive/R25746398/meades%2C-james?q=James+Meade&source=aims-archive

[ Seems only to be an Index    ???   ... but may lead to tracing a record  ???  ]

Added:        Just in that first link I've given you, scroll down to "Series" and open.  There is further information > plus details for a contact organisation which may be able to assist you further  ???
"Series"  here's the link >
https://collections.archives.govt.nz/en-GB/web/arena/search#/entity/aims-archive/7463/index-to-seafarers-certificates?q=James+Meade&source=aims-archive

~  Lu

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy2,
Thanks for your postings and links which I will look into.
I don't know alot about him in NZ.  When I come across a reference to him I try and follow these up to build up a picture of his life.
The USSCo records held by Wellington City Council Archives have provided me with the names of the vessels that he served on  while in their employ.  Paperspast has also provided some details of other vessels he served on post May 1891.
The ER for 1890 he is a Mariner at Forth Street, Dunedin East.
The ER for Buller in 1893 he is the Chief Officer Barquentine ST KILDA - Residential
The ER for 1896 Wanganui he is a Master Mariner, Custom House Hotel
In 1900 the ER for Ohinemuri he is in Whangamata and a Miner
In 1905 the ER for Bay of Plenty he is in Waihi and a Labourer.
The Hauraki District Council cemtery records has provided his burial details and I also have a copy of his death registration.
The Collections - Archives NZ has a copy of his Probate record.

The NZ Marine Dept Annual Report 1892 [20 February] indicates that he was issued a Foreign Trade Certificate of Competency issued Master Ordinary No 291.

At the time he came out to NZ in 1879 he had a wife Emma and 2 sons; Edward Thomas Meades b 1874 and George Meades b 1876 in Portsea, England.  I am also interested to know if he ever returned to England to visit them.

TPB

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 17:25 BST (UK) »

At the time he came out to NZ in 1879 he had a wife Emma and 2 sons; Edward Thomas Meades b 1874 and George Meades b 1876 in Portsea, England.  I am also interested to know if he ever returned to England to visit them.

TPB

Hi TPB

The son, Edward Thomas MEADES (aged 31)  married Ellen Louisa BARTLETT at Parish of St. Clement, Island of Jersey, on 4 April 1905.   The marriage certificate (available at ancestry.com), shows his father as  > James MEADES (deceased).
[The occupations of both fathers - although provision was made for them to be entered on the record - were not stated.]
  Witnesses:  Charles BARTLETT / Maud BARTLETT

This marriage of course pre-dates the known date of his father's death in NZ.

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
George MEADES (30) married Alice Maud HONEY at St Mary's, Portsea, on 11 September 1904.     Father : James MEADES, Master Mariner  [Nothing added to denote whether father was alive or deceased. ]     Emma MEADES and John HAWKING were witnesses.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the death of Emma MEADES >

1922 - Deaths - DEC quarter

MEADES - Emma - 75 years
Registered at Portsea, Hampshire, ENG

I'm still looking for Emma in 1901 and 1911 :   [Not finding so far, with that surname. ]

In 1881 Emma - married - dressmaker ...  and the two boys are living with her parents (NAYLER / NAYLOR).
1891 - Her father Edward NAYLER is head of household in which she lives - sons still with her.  Emma MEADES - married - occ:  dressmaker  (born London - c. 1847).

[Her "married" status doesn't mean much in the scheme of things - but she is employed as  a dressmaker - so likely supporting her sons. ]

Difficult to say if James MEADES returned to his family at any time.   As a mariner he may have worked his passage back to England ??   (Haven't checked passenger lists. )

~  Lu