Author Topic: Rent payments 1700-1837 Barnacre-with-Bonds parish  (Read 622 times)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rent payments 1700-1837 Barnacre-with-Bonds parish
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 12:56 BST (UK) »
They are held at Lancashire Archives and as far as I know they are not digitised you will need to go there to view them.

This may help to understand the records

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/38724e61-1e67-4d04-abf3-0892d0fb831b

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
Right i see still paperwork to hunt through, thank s for the info & link.

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 17:16 BST (UK) »
Update, I've been able to confirm Lancashire Archives hold original paper records for 1780-1830  tax payments for Barnacre ( in full 1781). What I cannot determine is the order tax records are held in ie  plot number, owners name or the farm name. Anyone on the forum researched similar dated records?
Just seeking clarification information before next stage.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 18:44 BST (UK) »
You might find this useful:

https://cdn.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/the-land-tax-1692-1963.pdf

The records I have seen don’t gives details of individual plots or farms, just the name the landowner, their tenants and the tax due. For a detailed view of the landowners, tenants, field names and acreages a tithe map and apportionment can be very informative.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 19:25 BST (UK) »
I’ve just looked at some I have copies of and they don’t help identify where the land/property is situated.

1830 of Halsall the headings are
Name of proprietor, name of occupier, sums assessed.

1800 of Sefton the headings are
Rentals £ s d, names of proprietors, names of occupiers, name or description of estates or property, sums assessed and exonerated, sums assessed and not exonerated.

1790 of Halsall the headings are proprietor, occupier £ s d

There are no maps to go with them. A lease of the land will have a description and it may be possible to work out from that where the land was. If they are still on the same land when a tithe map is made that can be helpful. An estate may or may not be helpful.

I found them useful for tracking my family’s various moves. In one case it explained why my ancestor was baptised some way from where his siblings were baptised.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 20:20 BST (UK) »
I’m fortunate that some of my farming ancestors lived in a place which has a superbly drawn 1720’s map with named fields together with acreages, and all of their holdings can be seen. There is another map of the 1780’s with a schedule, so it is possible to know every field and even what they grew in them, and there is even a comment on how good the landlord thought each tenant was.

Survivals of this sort are rare, and it is fortunate that the descendants of this landowner have deposited these records with the local record office, since they might still have been held privately (or worse still, bought by an American millionaire, as happened to the archive of a major landowner in the same county. These documents are now in California.)

There is very little detail in the land tax document for this place but the tithe map and appointment is also very informative.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 21:06 BST (UK) »
I agree that the tithe maps and schedules are very interesting, informative and useful. Most of these for Lancashire are held at Lancashire Archives in Preston. I think they are available on The Genealogist website.

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 18:46 BST (UK) »
Going to have another look how likely my research into Barnacre farm history is possible. My plan was to trace the farm history back to around 1700  , list farm owners every 10 years back from 1841  census , + 1839 tithe records which I now have.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 19:09 BST (UK) »
Going to have another look how likely my research into Barnacre farm history is possible. My plan was to trace the farm history back to around 1700  , list farm owners every 10 years back from 1841  census , + 1839 tithe records which I now have.

I think that you will be very lucky to be able to do that if the farm was rented from a landlord. I have an instance where my ancestors were living in the same place at least from the the early 1600’s until about 1875. The same landlord still owns the land his family bought in 1625. The surviving documents which name tenants or show their rentals are five in number, from 1727, 1767, 1787, 1849 and 1850. In 1728 and 1759 I know that my ancestors owned a farm in a neaby village. I can find no documentation related to it (it’s existence is known only from family wills). OTOH I know more about the ancestors in this place than about any others who farmed.

Good luck anyway, you may be fortunate.

Dave  :)