Author Topic: Help with Ancestry  (Read 320 times)

Online spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Help with Ancestry
« on: Monday 03 April 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Have been a member with ancestry for many years, for abt 5 years I received emails, re offers and more importantly prior notice when they were about to take my subscription.

Then the emails stopped, I received nothing.  I checked junk etc., there were no emails.

Complained many times, with various responses but no actual solution.  The problem appears to be with their automatic emails, because if a person sends an email I receive it.

This morning I have been told, there is nothing they can do their system shows emails have been sent and the problem must be with my service provider. Non of them actually confirm that their automatic system has the correct e-mail address, they skirt round this question. They also suggest I create a new email address but fail to explain how this will resolve the problem.

Can someone explain in very simple terms, what they think the problem is?

Tearing my hair out!!!!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 April 23 12:46 BST (UK) »
I've been a member since 2002-03 and I've been notified each year., including when I changed my e-mail, so I can't explain your problem if they've sent it.

I assume that you've checked your spam folder.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 April 23 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thanks for your interest, I have been a member since 2004 and as I said no problem for about 5 years, and then all emails stopped.

I have checked spam.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 23 13:33 BST (UK) »
It all seems very odd.

If you're getting e-mail notifications when you have contact messages, etc. , it must be the automatic mailing  :-\

Have you checked your Order History in your Account settings to see if there is a record of payments?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 23 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have checked everything, and yes there is full record of payments.

I think it is their auto system, and evidence for this is I have just received an email from Ancestry asking me to rate their call, obviously personally generated by the operator.

Have now replied to this giving full details, in writing yet again about my complaint, asking them to pass this on to their technical department and legal department.  I am sure the legal department would be interested as they are not complying with Direct Debit rules.

I personally think that all they have to do is check that my email address is correct in  their auto system.

Not tech minded, but this seems to be the common sense answer.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 23 14:24 BST (UK) »
I think that mentioning the DD  non-compliance rules might get some action.

I hope you get a satisfactory result.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 April 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Have you checked in the Account settings under Communications what the eMail settings are?

If they look OK then perhaps looking at your Junk Mail settings with the mailer that you subscribe with.  Mine are filtered as soon as they are received at my provider and go straight to Junk.

Another option is to get another eMail account ie Google / Yahoo / hotmail etc and swap your Ancestry account mail address and see what happens.

Online spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 April 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Biggles50

Have checked numerous times over the last few years and my email address is correct, if it was not they could not sent personally generated mail.

Junk mail settings OK.

In fact everything has been checked by my son and he assures me everything is OK.

I do understand I could get another email account.  I am 80 and find it difficult I am not technically minded.

I will see what comes back from my latest communication, I feel very strongly that they take your money and should make a greater effort to put their systems in order.

Just thought that someone on roots chat may be able to explain why auto mail does not arrive.

Thanks