Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 9th April (Easter Sunday)  (Read 2731 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 9th April (Easter Sunday)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
Well, still here, I don’t buy the brand I used yesterday get a better one, but still has to be thrown away after a shortish time.

Such a weather change ,cooler and wet this morning ,must get to aBury ,son needs to go too.
Got Easter eggs for neighbours’s children ,all girls, ,both sets, both parents at one house  across the lane ex pupils and one parent next to them Daddy ,is an ex pupil, that is Henry Cat’s home.
They were off to France fir Easter—— and such delays at Dover  with new regulations after Brexit .
All locked up and ready to go and their bin full so I said put your excess in mine , then one little girl needed the loo so the other did ,I said come to my bathroom to save your Mummy unlocking etc ,it was easier.

Well Nicola Sturgeon’s husband,Peter Morrel ( sounds like Murrell ) has been arrested over SNP finances —- an ongoing investigation, wonder if that prompted her to resign?

Well things to do and places to go —— hope everyone has a nice weekend with good weather.

My Mum’s Birthday on sixth and my Dad’s anniversary was the  first  so flowers for them both .

Cheerio.
Viktoria .

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 10:21 BST (UK) »
Useful visibility isn't always evident. I regularly use both my cars, a landrover freelander, and a Mazda MX5, both seem very different, and I'm only a little over 5.0" tall myself, but have no problem seeing. Other factors can be more important - once bought a car with a foot-operated parking brake, hated it.
Whatever you do, think carefully. Friends of mine have repeatedly bought Honda Jazz, and love them.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 10:28 BST (UK) »
LM we were in  a similar situation about 18 months ago. Rear end shunt in a line of parked cars. The assailant admitted liability but our car was  declared a write off because of age etc. Fortunately we had the use of a courtesy car through our insurance. The time came when we had to look for a replacement and so we went to our local garage from where we had purchased three previous cars.

There was not a lot of choice on the forecourt and we were hesitating. We then noticed a couple who had just arrived and were taking a keen interest in one of the cars which we had considered. And so we made up our minds and "bagged it", paid a deposit and sorted out the various details. As we were leaving the other couple came in to the showroom and said that they were interested in the black Corsa......
."Sorry old chap, just sold it".   Stroke of luck or what?
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
Viktoria,  a lot of things like tomato purée go to waste if you only need to use a little. I freeze things like that in an ice cube tray, it saves waste and money and means you always have some to hand.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 11:43 BST (UK) »
My husband spent hours on the computer comparing car details, a very handy site, I was quite interested in it to, a great help,  thank you Arthurk.

Glad it helped  :)

Useful visibility isn't always evident. I regularly use both my cars, a landrover freelander, and a Mazda MX5, both seem very different, and I'm only a little over 5.0" tall myself, but have no problem seeing.

You've just reminded me of another site I used, which has a bit more info about driving positions and some other internal dimensions:

https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/car-search

This site is mainly about mobility issues, eg if you can fit a wheelchair in a car, but it also includes things that anyone might find useful, eg how high the driving position is, how big a step up from the ground, how much headroom, how level the boot floor is.

Whatever you do, think carefully. Friends of mine have repeatedly bought Honda Jazz, and love them.

I had two Honda Jazzes, and sometimes had the latest model as a loan car while mine was being serviced. This may have had the opposite effect to what the garage had hoped, as it really put us off staying with them: the versions I drove had a large camera(?) unit at the top of the windscreen, and while for the driver it was largely hidden by the rear view mirror, my wife as passenger found it very intrusive. Also, as far as I was able to determine, the latest ones no longer have a nice level boot floor: we don't often need it, but when we do we don't want an enormous step or slope in it.

Anyway, I hope you find something that suits you. After lots of research (online, plus 2-3 visits to forecourts just to look over, sit in etc) we got to a shortlist of three, I think, and it was the test drives that clinched it.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 13:12 BST (UK) »
Jebber, it did cross my mind but yesterday!
I will however do that when I buy a new tube , I like-  I think it will be
Napoli .
Thanks, it does make sense.
Viktoria.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Viktoria. Living on my own I freeze all sorts of odds and ends as I hate waste. Manufacturers  never seem to consider one or two person households that don’t need large tubes jars.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
Came home  exhausted looking  at cars , my Fusion was  about 2 years when I bought it, a 2 year old car now is mega  bucks , think our days of buying  a brand new car have gone, all very stressful to be honest.
One car dealer suggested I  find out how much it would be to repair it and buy it back from the insurance , is at Cat N, got to put my thinking cap on, nothing like this has ever happened to me before.. 
Jebber and Viktoria, one supermarket is selling a lot of goods 3  for the  price of 2, I can see an awful lot of waste generated there, for a start who wants 15 oranges  if there is   1 or 2 living in a household, it doesn't suit a household  in my opinion of 2 persons and I can see people buying  3 to get them cheaper and wasting  the rest.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 April 23 06:45 BST (UK) »
Happy Easter everyone, also cheers TY on your anniversary this week.
Sympathy for you CF with the tonsillitis, hopefully the antibiotics have been administered and kicked in by now, a chronic sufferer myself until tonsils removed just after we were married.
With that cool change last week I had symptoms of a slight head cold, mainly loud sneezing but a bit of a scratchy throat and reaching for the tissue box, so made sure I tested negative anyway before going north for the weekend and mixing with others. Good as gold by then, it had become warmer and quite steamy after some wet, we had the doors of our hotel room wide open even later in evening after the birthday party, overlooked a well kept tropical garden and foliage down to the harbour which made it seem like we were holidaying in the tropics.

Good to catch up with our Goddaughters and friends and granddaughters and family as well, pretty good road trip apart from some delay heading north with a new road layout but opened the main highway temporarily both ways the day before we travelled which was good. Still ongoing repairs following damage and washouts since the wild weather late January and early February and speed restrictions and lanes closed, intending to deviate traffic again to the longer route after the Easter Holiday break as always a busy destination and congestion at holiday times. We prefer to stay off the roads as much as possible at peak times, recharging ourselves closer to home. Family up there planning to be away on the boat for a few days if weather allows, it's been a nice few days, sunny and clear but breaking up a bit with wet in the forecast there and there.

Good luck with the car decision LM, we've had this one just on a year now since the end of last financial year and bought new again as the last few have been. Not doing quite the same high mileage annually as we used to and fewer long trips this time but still 35.000 km now on clock, used to be nearly double that which meant upgrading more frequently. Some of family have bought new 2nd hand recently, younger daughter just came round to show hers having now made a change from her ageing vehicle. Reluctant at first but signs of wear and tear, served her well and was the second of same model she'd had, a Toyota Caldina SW, tearful herself when the first one was stolen and wrecked! Bought with low mileage and no issues but lucky to find another also with low mileage in replacement and has been good for a few years now so quite happy with it. Seemed rather pleased with her Subaru Levorg SW purchase, a few years on it but excellent condition etc, I commented that she'd miss her Caldina and the reply was “what Caldina” ! So must be OK :)