Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 9th April (Easter Sunday)  (Read 2726 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 9th April (Easter Sunday)
« Reply #63 on: Monday 10 April 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
On a windy day with the quarry blasting and the train sounding off “ You cudda thowt it wer th ‘ uddersfield!”
You could have thought it was The Huddersfield ( prestigious Choral Society sadly now disbanded )

No, it's still going - https://www.huddersfieldchoral.com/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 10 April 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Viktoria for your kind words and Candleflame too.  I think she meant well but I have gotten  the impression over the years that she has always been comfortably off.  I think she doesn't quite grasp that things aren't that easy for everyone.  It felt to me like in the days when the rich might have the attitude towards those in a workhouse 'It's your fault that you're poor'.  But I do think she didn't intend any offence and she is not a bad sort really and I know I should not let this bother me.
My expectancy is that I will be able to retire in four years - if the government don't change the goal posts and I have to work longer again. 
Candleflame, I am hoping too that I will be able to get my free bus pass when I reach 66.  It would be very nice to be able to gad about for free.  I hope the goal posts don't change regarding this either.
Threlfallyorky, talking of 'dreary' that has reminded me of a funny Church memory from several years ago.  The kids were doing some presentation at the front.  One young teenage lad said his line "Rejoice, I say rejoice!" in such a monotone, miserable tone and virtually the whole congregation  fell about laughing!  I did feel so very sorry for him but it really was hilarious.😅
Re Easter clothes .. I remember my Mam saying her Mother would always buy them a new outfit for Easter.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 10 April 23 18:14 BST (UK) »
Well that is good news, The Huddersfield Choral Society  up and running .
There was a sort of “ fall out “and I truly thought they had disbanded .Ihave  their Messiah on LP, formerly an inherited  one on old 45’s. You needed a removal lorry to move  them and  such short playing times !
Ramsbottom Choral Society did it every year,I love the gentle little Shepherd’s Song.
Have my own copy ,from my mother’s lovely brother ,he was conductor for Stretford Choral Society ,as was his son after him. 

The Messiah was first performed in Ireland I believe ,funds dedicated to The Foundlings’Hospital— Coram’s.

Their father was a bandmaster for a Church band and played for a prestigious Brass Band — Culcheth Prize Military Band.

Thanks for the info .
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 10 April 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
I like  military bands, when I was young I walked  miles with my dad with the bands from Buckingham Palace, in fact now they bring me to tears with the memories of  my dad.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 10 April 23 20:26 BST (UK) »
I love them too and yet they reduce me to tears ,all my Lancashire heritage
runs through my mind , all that is lost , mills, bands, clogs ,communities, etc,
local customs , dialect, etc.
We have some cracking bands pretty locally ,Bessie’s O ‘the Barn,Middleton,
and they have youth bands too, so hope for the future .
Ramsbottom had its own too, our former church organist of 64 years was the son of the organist before him ,who was leader and conductor of Ramsbottom Band.
Schools had tutors coming in to teach brass instruments but sadly no longer .
What a loss.
They ( bands) make me proud to be a Lancastrian .
I know  other  areas have them but they are very typical of The North .
Cheerio.
Viktoria.