Author Topic: BROE Family Dublin HELP please  (Read 332 times)

Offline LauraJHenderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BROE Family Dublin HELP please
« on: Monday 03 April 23 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my paternal line as I'm completely stuck and would love to know/learn more about my Irish links.

My Irish relatives passed away long before I was born and the only other links I had my Grandmother and Grandfather passed when I was 10 and 14. So, I never thought to ask them questions whilst I had the chance.

What I do know I will list below for you. I know the family were from Dublin city and County Dublin, but I've been unable to find birth entries for them or a marriage entry. They moved over to Birkenhead/Wallasey, Cheshire at some point. This is where my Great-Grandmother met and married John Edward PRICE and they had my Grandmother Maureen Eleanor Muriel PRICE in Nov 1928.

* Mary Josephine BROE 06/10/1900 County Dublin to 25/02/1956 Birkenhead, Cheshire. (My Great-Grandmother) Married John Edward PRICE in July 1927 in Birkenhead, Cheshire.

* Patrick BROE 24/04/1868 Dublin City to 29/01/1948  Birkenhead, Cheshire.

* Mary (Patrick's Wife ans Mary Josephine's mother) born 1872 County Dublin and died July 1924 Birkenhead, Cheshire.

Does anyone recognise these names? Have any further information on them? Or are you indeed a relative? Any information will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Laura

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: BROE Family Dublin HELP please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 21:12 BST (UK) »
how about this family in Dundrum South Dublin on the 1901 census - Patrick Broe age  28, wife Mary age 30 and child Mary age 1 ?

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 00:12 BST (UK) »
This could be the marriage. Brough would be pronounced Broe in many parts of Ireland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1899/10380/5779442.pdf
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 07:46 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Laura  :)

This could be the marriage. Brough would be pronounced Broe in many parts of Ireland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1899/10380/5779442.pdf

Mistranscribed on IrishGenealogy.ie (and reported).
Mary Cathleen BROWE born 6 October 1899 at Mount Anville, Dundrum.   MMN Walshe   #92
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02020/1762453.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/taney/dundrum-ed-1911/dundrum/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LauraJHenderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 12:24 BST (UK) »
Morning everyone, thank you so much for your help. I often wondered if the marriage between a Patrick BROUGH and Mary WALSH was for my 2nd g.grandparents. I noticed on the 1939 Register that there is a Monica WALSH born 1905 living with them. Wondered if there was a connection,  i.e  if she was a niece to Patrick and a cousin to my g.grandmother.
Thank you for the birth record for Mary Cathleen- do you think this is likely to be my g.grandmother? Could the name just be an error via the registering nurse?
Thank you again for all your help

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 April 23 01:42 BST (UK) »
If Monica Walsh was born in Dublin 17 Feb 1905 her parents were Joseph Walsh and Bridget Leonard. Their marriage shows Joseph's father as Thomas, so it is possible Monica was a niece of the Mary Walsh that married Patrick Brough/Broe. You'd need a little more investigation to confirm it. The Church register might give an address for the Thomas that was father to Joseph.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 April 23 12:22 BST (UK) »

....her parents were Joseph Walsh and Bridget Leonard. Their marriage shows Joseph's father as Thomas, so it is possible Monica was a niece of the Mary Walsh that married Patrick Brough/Broe.

Link to the marriage - 5 June 1901
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10310/5752856.pdf

Both Thomas Walsh and Andrew Leonard (fathers) appear to have occupations as caretakers.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo