Author Topic: Lyttelton  (Read 443 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Lyttelton
« on: Tuesday 04 April 23 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have been reading about the Camp Bay Quarantine Station in Lyttelton Harbour. I came across this file at Archives NZ "From: Immigration Officer, Christchurch Date: 18 May 1877 Subject: Recommends that the offer of the Education Board Canterbury to lease 10 acres at Camp Bay, known as the old Quarantine Station, at 1s [shilling?]/- per acre per annum. To the government, he accepted" %2F--per-acre-per-annum.-to-the-government%2C-he-accepted?q=camp+bay+quarantine&source=aims-archive]https://collections.archives.govt.nz/en/web/arena/search#/entity/aims-archive/R24690487/from%3A-immigration-officer%2C-christchurch-date%3A-18-may-1877-subject%3A-recommends-that-the-offer-of-the-education-board-canterbury-to-lease-10-acres-at-camp-bay%2C-known-as-the-old-quarantine-station%2C-at-1s-[shilling%3F]%2F--per-acre-per-annum.-to-the-government%2C-he-accepted?q=camp+bay+quarantine&source=aims-archive

In this document https://districtplan.ccc.govt.nz/Images/DistrictPlanImages/Statement%20of%20Significance/Banks%20Peninsula/HID%201161.pdf it describes the area as becoming an educational reserve.

So the question I have been trying to answer is What is an Education Reserve? Did it become land specifically for the use by Educational Institutions? Or also for the wider public?

I see burials took place at the Camp Bay Cemetery after 1877 (into the 1880s) - so maybe the cemetery wasn't apart of that Reserve?

Warmest regards,

Ashley

"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lyttelton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 04:29 BST (UK) »

So the question I have been trying to answer is What is an Education Reserve? Did it become land specifically for the use by Educational Institutions? Or also for the wider public?

Hi Ashley

I've skimmed over the links you've provided and I'd say that the best information to answer your questions, should be available from the Christchurch City Council - Heritage Section.  (See end of your 2nd link).    That report was dated 4 March 2015 and it does lay out some details of what occurred once the Camp Bay QS buildings had been dismantled.

NZ Provinces of the time seemed to have Educational / or Education, Reserve Acts which pertained to their own area (province) ... so you should perhaps "google" to see what the Canterbury Act contained.   Or, include that question if you get in touch with CCC Heritage department.

~  Lu

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 09:52 BST (UK) »
Papers Past has many many items about Education Reserves, and they seem to have been established in a number of places throughout New Zealand.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18770822.2.14?end_date=31-12-1877&items_per_page=10&phrase=2&query=education+reserve&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1839&title=LT&type=ARTICLE

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 03:22 BST (UK) »

I see burials took place at the Camp Bay Cemetery after 1877 (into the 1880s) - so maybe the cemetery wasn't apart of that Reserve?

Hi Ashley

Still looking at this for you.

*  Can you explain please where you got the information about "burials still taking place at Camp Bay Cemetery after 1877 (into the 1880's)  ??   

(That info seems to conflict with what is written in the "districtplan ccc govt" link you posted ?? )

~  Lu

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
Morning.

Every province had numerous plots of land set aside as RESERVES, when the original surveys were done. Some were lots of land were, where a feature was deemed significant, to set that lot/s aside from private development. Good timber / bush, river and beach access for the general public. Also NATIVE LANDS

Others were assigned as hospital or educational reserves.  Such reserves were then leased out, and the revenue from that reserve, went to the local Borough, Hospital, or education facility, to help fund their operation.

Many an aspiring farmer and market gardener, got their start by leasing Auckland Hospital reserved lands scattered throughout greater Auckland. Those were 21 year leases, with right of renewal.

Others are recreation parks to day, but in earlier times were tendered for annually, by the local transport industry, to graze their horses over night.

Alan.

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 00:36 BST (UK) »
Morning.

Every province had numerous plots of land set aside as RESERVES, when the original surveys were done. Some were lots of land were, where a feature was deemed significant, to set that lot/s aside from private development. Good timber / bush, river and beach access for the general public. Also NATIVE LANDS

Others were assigned as hospital or educational reserves.  Such reserves were then leased out, and the revenue from that reserve, went to the local Borough, Hospital, or education facility, to help fund their operation.

Many an aspiring farmer and market gardener, got their start by leasing Auckland Hospital reserved lands scattered throughout greater Auckland. Those were 21 year leases, with right of renewal.

Others are recreation parks to day, but in earlier times were tendered for annually, by the local transport industry, to graze their horses over night.

Alan.

Thank you Alan, that answered my question perfectly  :)
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley.

Pleased to have been able to shed some light on your question. I had just been emailed copies of some Waikato Militia grant surveys, of the 1860's, and there in, was set aside reserved lots. When I spotted your post.

A couple of days before I had been researching one of Auckland's leading cartage, and contracting business, c. 1915, and was surprised to see how competitive were the bids for grazing rights to town and borough, waste land and reserves. But I then read that they had 60 working horses to pasture every night, yet be close enough to their depot, for work the next day.

Alan
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.