Author Topic: Thomas Hopewell Death and/or Burial  (Read 220 times)

Offline Rowleyrosie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hopewell Death and/or Burial
« on: Tuesday 04 April 23 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thomas Hopewell, born 1821 Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, a stone cutter, moved to Caynham in the 1860s to work in the stone quarries which I think were around the Clee Hills. He was living in Hope Baggott in 1881. By 1891 his wife Mary is a widow, living in Caynham. I cannot find his death or burial anywhere in the intervening ten years although his wife was buried in  St. Paul, Knowbury when she died in 1907 so I hope he might also be buried there.
The name Hopewell is sometimes misrecorded. Several of his children have records in the name Oakwell but those are mostly in Staffordshire.
It would be useful to be able to look through the Burial Register for Knowbury to see whether there are any likely candidates. Does anyone know whether these are available online anywhere? Any other suggestions most welcome!
Hopkins (Staffordshire and Gloucestershire), Hingley, Rose, Parsons, all Staffs; Beet Staffs and Nuneaton. Varney, Newman Northamptonshire and Stowe, Buckinghamshire.

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hopewell Death and/or Burial
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 14:07 BST (UK) »
Find-a-Grave website has Mary Hopewell's burial listed as follows:-

Mary Hopewell b1833 and died 7th Sept 1907 interred Tinsley Park Cemetery, Sheffield.
Plot info: W71c

Hope you find this information useful.

Priscilla
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
Find-a-Grave website has Mary Hopewell's burial listed as follows:-

Mary Hopewell b1833 and died 7th Sept 1907 interred Tinsley Park Cemetery, Sheffield.
Plot info: W71c

Hope you find this information useful.

Priscilla

I don’t think the Sheffield record is her. There is a March 1907 death of Mary Hopewell registered in Ludlow (close to Knowbury), aged 88. Would that not be the widow of Thomas? I assume that the OP is confident of the Knowbury record.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
Knowbury burials (1849-1900) are on FindMyPast but I’ve looked through and not seen Hopewell/Oakwell or any similar name. Also drew a blank with Caynham.

Dave
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Rowleyrosie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you to those who have checked for me, much appreciated. I am fairly confident that the Ludlow GRO Death Registration is correct as the year of birth (c.1820) is about right and Ludlow RD covers the Cainham area. And the burial reference for the Knowbury burial is from the England Select Deaths and Burials 1538-1991 which I understand is from the LDS records. It gives these details which seem quite specific. I had also searched on Find My Past, FreeBMD, GRO and found nothing for Thomas's death although there are entries for other members of the family in Knowbury after 1900.
Name   Mary Hopewell
Gender   Female
Death Date   1907
Burial Date   27 Mar 1907
Burial Place   St. Paul, Knowbury, Shropshire, England
I'm grateful for all your help, it seems that Thomas's death is going to continue to be elusive!
Hopkins (Staffordshire and Gloucestershire), Hingley, Rose, Parsons, all Staffs; Beet Staffs and Nuneaton. Varney, Newman Northamptonshire and Stowe, Buckinghamshire.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 17:23 BST (UK) »
And the burial reference for the Knowbury burial is from the England Select Deaths and Burials 1538-1991 which I understand is from the LDS records. It gives these details which seem quite specific.

There does not appear to be a film number for that collection, could the information just have been gathered from (unreliable?) trees on their website  :-\.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
Not what you are after  :)
Wellington Journal 19 September 1868
Marriages
VARNHAM-HOPEWELL
14th inst at St Pauls, Knowbury, Clee Hill, by the Rev J.B.James, Mr Joseph Varnham of Loughborough, Leicestershire to Elizabeth, daughter of Mr Thomas Hopewell, Clee Hill Dhu Stone Works, Ludlow
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rowleyrosie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 18:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry, this is the film number for that burial:
FHL Film Number   1526927
Reference ID   Item 11 p 108
 And yes, the Elizabeth Hopewell in that notice was the daughter of Thomas and Mary Hopewell. She and Joseph appear to have had several children but she was then living from at least 1891 with John Greenhouse in Clee Hill as his 'housekeeper' and had several more children, father not clear but probably not Varnham. She eventually married John Greenhouse in 1907! Joseph Varnham died in 1899 in Wakefield where he was living with someone else, the Coroner's Report on his death is quite interesting, not least because one of the witnesses was Elizabeth's brother Benjamin who gave evidence that Varnham was still married to his sister!
Thanks for your continuing efforts.