Author Topic: Hamsterley Hodgson Hardy marriage - who is William Hodgson?  (Read 270 times)

Offline CarolO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamsterley Hodgson Hardy marriage - who is William Hodgson?
« on: Tuesday 04 April 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage of William Hodgson to Jane Hardy in Hamsterley 12 May 1778
From another's look up request there is the following information:
"St James Church, Hamsterley
Banns of Marriage were published in this Church between William Hodgson and Jane Hardy both of this parish April 26th, May 3rd and May 10th 1778, by me John Whelpdale, Curate. Wiliam Hodgson and Jane Hardy both of this parish were married in this Church bt Banns with consent of Parents this 12th day of May in the year 1778, by me John Whelpdale, Curate. This marriage was solmenized between us William Hodgshon and Jane Hardy, who both sign their names. In the presence of John Pigg, Jno Kirkup and Lucy Hodgshon. All signed"
From this I infer that one of either William or Jane is under the age of 21 (and I have a birthdate of 1755 for Jane, which if right means that it isn't her)
AND that William Hodgson most probably has a relation called Lucy.
I have seen so many versions of William's birthdate, birth place and parents on Ancestry and Family search that I have got so confused by this family.
I have noticed that some of you on here have this family in your tree.  How have you settled on who William is? The Hardys all have wills, I haven't found a relevant Hodgson will that would help me settle it.
I would appreciate your help.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Hamsterley Hodgson Hardy marriage - who is William Hodgson?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Marriage of Lucy HODGSON/Joseph MILLAR or Miller, 21 May 1782, St James, Hamsterley

So likely your Williams sister.

Unfortunately Lucy Millar, Wife of Joseph was buried 15 Oct 1794, no age given.
They bapt children John 1784/Ann and George 1786

I noticed your William/Jane name a Daug LUCY who was bapt 2 Feb 1783.

So children of William/Jane were;
Lucy/John/Jane/Hannah/Robert/Eleanor/Bryan

Above on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 12:57 BST (UK) »
I note that they had 9 children, the eldest son below: All on family search.

William Hodgson Christening 30 July 1780 Hamsterley, Durham   Parent William Hodgson, Jane

Lucy 1783, already posted is the second daughter.

So if the family used the English naming pattern, though not all did, Williams parents would be William & Lucy.

No such marriage in Durham but this 21 miles away and there are two more William/Lucy marriages in North Yorkshire 50/52 miles away from Hamsterley.

William Hodgson   Marriage 7 February 1747 Marske, Yorkshire   Spouse Lucy Ward

Sadly there are a number of possible children's baptisms in Durham & Yorkshire (Except Marske) which only note the father but I wonder if any of the trees you mention have made this connection?

However there are three baptisms in Hamsterley for a William,1742, father John, 1756, parents William & Elizabeth, 1759, John & Bridget.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline CarolO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 13:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have found this marriage for Lucy, the possible sister, and there is a birth for 'a' Lucy in Wolsingham in 1753, with father John, which is possible.
However, the only birth of a William that would make him under 21 is one in 1759 in Hamsterley to a John and Bridget Hodgson. The marriage of John and Bridget takes place in 1759 according to Genuki https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DUR/Transcriptions/HAM (1756 in Ancestry???).  Now this could easily be a second marriage, but it would be good to find a death for the first wife.
Would like to know how others have dealt with this one if possible.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 13:24 BST (UK) »
The phrase 'wih consent of parents' was often used even when both parties were 'of full age'. I think that certain vicars just wrote it in automatically.

As well as the Lucy Hodgson baptised 1753 in Wolsingham there is also a baptism for a William with father John in 1754 at St John's Chapel Weardale.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline CarolO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 13:39 BST (UK) »
The phrase 'wih consent of parents' was often used even when both parties were 'of full age'. I think that certain vicars just wrote it in automatically.

To widen the parameters further is quite terrifying. There are a lot of Williams out there.  I need to narrow it down and find the right one. 

Not that I'm not grateful for options.  Sometimes they gel to a 'on the balance of probabilities' option, but that is what I had before, a best guess that I now think is wrong.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 23 13:57 BST (UK) »
Rather than the vicar or curate writing in the phrase “with consent of parents” it is more likely that it was a preprinted form which had those words in and he just did not bother to cross them out. I have come across lots of examples.
A look at the original form is desirable.