Author Topic: Is this a wedding photo?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is this a wedding photo?
« on: Wednesday 05 April 23 14:08 BST (UK) »
In another thread Viktoria mentioned a wedding photo, and it reminded me of one that I have:
In my grandparents’photo my grandmother is standing whilst grandad sits!
Emancipation had not yet arrived!
Viktoria.

These are my great grandparents, and I'd always assumed that they were posed like that because she was quite petite and it might have looked odd the other way round, but maybe for a time that was the way it tended to be done.

However, it had never occurred to me that it might be a wedding photo, but on checking my dating books, I now think it could well be. They married in 1883 when he was 28 and she was 26 - what do others think? (No restores, please - I'll ask if/when I need one.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a wedding photo?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
Bumping back up  ;)
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
Well, she is "showing off" her wedding ring  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 23 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur, it could well be a wedding photo, I have a photo in one of my books where the gent is wearing a jacket with only the top button fastened and a similar collar and tie arrangement and it is dated 1883. See what Jim and Gadget say.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur

I agree with Carol.

The clothing would fit with the early 1880s, especially the man's. He's wearing a single breasted tight fitting jacket which is only partially buttoned, exposing a buttoned waistcoat. The  wing collar and white pocket handkerchief also fit the period.   The woman's skirt  looks to be very early 1880s as it is quite narrow and  cuffs are exposed at the wrist.

I'd say it was likely to be around the 1883 date that you have in mind.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 April 23 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your opinions - it does all seem to tie in with the 1883 wedding. I hadn't looked at it in detail with a view to dating, and as I said, I simply assumed the pose was more to do with their relative heights. It was only when Viktoria mentioned her photo that the penny dropped, but I didn't want to rely on just my interpretation, so thank you.

Samuel Bartle, my great grandfather, has scrubbed up rather nicely given that he was a miner at the time, but he'd lost his grandfather in a pit accident and I think he had his eye on higher things for his family: three years later and for the rest of his working life he was an insurance agent. Of the three children who survived infancy, two went to Leeds University (in the early 1900s) and became teachers, and the third went to teacher training college and was eventually a headmistress.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 April 23 19:35 BST (UK) »
That's great Arthur, power to the working class, rare in the early 1900s.
do tell us who the little cutie is in your Avatar, I'm often wondered if it was you  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 April 23 20:10 BST (UK) »
That's great Arthur, power to the working class, rare in the early 1900s.

But ironically it moved the family out of what would now be understood as the working class.

do tell us who the little cutie is in your Avatar, I'm often wondered if it was you  ;D
Carol

No, it's my grandfather on the other side of the family, taken around the same time as the photo we've been discussing. I hope I don't come across as though I've been around since then :o

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 April 23 22:36 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D