Author Topic: The mysterious Murphy's of Cork: link to Australia in the goldrush era  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious Murphy's of Cork: link to Australia in the goldrush era
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 08 April 23 17:59 BST (UK) »
OP - you mention checking Griffith's Valuation for Jeremiah Murphy entries.
But that for Cork dates from 1853. Have you checked the tythe valuations, which are substantially earlier?

Of course, you now have more than one civil parish to deal with.
And Jeremiah tended appear as Jerry or Gerry.

As it happens, Murphy is a very numerous surname, and Jeremiah was a popular Christian name in Cork. So I think there will be quite a few.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 08 April 23 18:23 BST (UK) »
I have Frances's birth certificate in 1867 stating that Mary was from Co. Cork.

If Mary was born in 1820 then she would have been approximately 47 in 1867. Does that not seem improbable?
So, is this Frances a daughter of Mary with 100% certainty, or is it that Mary was probably born several years after 1820?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 08 April 23 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, Neale

Thanks for the link and the information. I had tried going through the immigration shipping lists one by one, but the Bounty Index is waaaaay faster ;D.  I was not familiar with this index on Family Search. There are probably a lot of other databases on Family Search I am not familiar with either. The link you gave me makes sense, because of the lack of information about her parents on her death certificate. How sad for her, I wonder what happened to her after her birth being an orphan?  :'(

I always thought my family was Catholic :-\. It is possible she converted because her husband was Catholic. Or maybe had to convert when she lived in Ireland....?

Two points:

- There was an official state religion in Ireland at the time, and it was not Catholic. If an orphan had to be raised by the state, then the child was raised as Protestant.

- If this is OP's Mary, then what are we to make of the search for parents named Jeremiah Murphy, and mother O'Connor? If she couldn't remember her parents names, aged 19, then how could her grandchildren know, when she died?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 08 April 23 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking up the NSW BDM register. I ordered a copy of 3826/1840 from NSW BDM and I was sent a transcript for James and Margaret Walsh, who married in Bathurst on 4th June 1840 at an unnamed Catholic Church. So the transcript did not match.

You actually need to view a copy of the original church record. In my experience, NSW BMD are NOT good at doing accurate transcriptions.  :(
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 09 April 23 01:37 BST (UK) »
How can you order a copy and get a transcription?
Doesn't make sense.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 09 April 23 02:04 BST (UK) »
At reply #27

How did you come by this image of baptism record, 1848?

"I ordered a copy of 3826/1840 from NSW BDM and I was sent a transcript for James and Margaret Walsh"

Did you order this through BDM NSW, via their website?

Did you order this through a transcription service?

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 09 April 23 02:18 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether an email inquiry here would help you.

https://bathurst.catholic.org.au/directory/archives/

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annemareeinerko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 03:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for all the information. When I have a chance to look at the original church records from Bathurst at the NSW state library, I will give you all a hoy on here.