Author Topic: McAvoy and Cole family Kilmarnock 1940s  (Read 222 times)

Offline Jim82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAvoy and Cole family Kilmarnock 1940s
« on: Thursday 06 April 23 07:15 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any information on the following who lived in Kilmarnock in the 1940s
Thomas and Mary Cole who were living in Crosshouse in 1942. They had at least one son who died in ww2 called John b.1915. He was my grandads best friend in the 11th HAC.
Mary McAvoy who was living at 42 Richardland Road Kilmarnock in 1942. She was born 1916 and was engaged I believe  to John.
I'd love to know if John had any siblings and whether Mary ever married. Maybe someone remembers her in her old age or recalls the Cole family. I have a lot of letters and photos which would be interesting to share.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: McAvoy and Cole family Kilmarnock 1940s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 23 09:01 BST (UK) »
You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but be aware that you are not allowed to view online any birth certificate less than 100 years ago or marriage less than 75 years ago. You have to order them to be sent to you.

The deaths index lists the death of John Andrews Cole, 28, in 1942.

The births index lists three Cole children, mother's maiden surname Andrews, in Kilmaurs
Agnes McIntosh, 1902
Margaret Matilda, 1912
John Andrews, 1914
and there could be others whose mother's maiden surname has not yet been added to the index.

Thomas Cole and Margaret McIntosh Andrews were married in Kilmaurs, in 1900.

The index to the 1921 index lists in Kilmaurs a household including
Thomas Cole, 45
Margaret Cole, 39
Margaret Cole, 8
John Cole, 6

and in 1911 there are Thomas Cole, 34, and Maggie Cole, 29.

Thomas Perry Cole, 77, died in Kilmaurs in 1952
Margaret McIntosh Andrews or Cole, 75, died in Kilmaurs in 1857
Agnes McIntosh Cole or Tait, 73, mmn Andrews, died in Kilmarnock in 1975
Abraham Perry Cole, 72, mmn Andrews, died in Kilmarnock in 1978
Margaret Matilda Cole, 99, mmn Andrews, died in Irvine in 2012

Agnes McIntosh Cole married Robert Taylor Tait in Kilmaurs in 1927
Abraham Perry Cole married Rosalin Castle Gilliland in Dreghorn in 1929

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 23 09:18 BST (UK) »
According to the 1940 Valuation Roll a Robert Macavoy was tenant of a house at 42 Richardland Road, Kilmarnock.

A Robert McAvoy, 83, died in Kilmarmock in 1961.

The 1921 census index lists in Kilmarnock a McAvoy family consisiting of Robert, 43; Jessie, 43; Jane, 19; Jessie, 16; Agnes, 14; Andrew, 12; Robert, 9; Mary, 5; Douglas, 2.

These children match the children of McAvoy, mmn Moore, who include Mary Strathearn McAvoy, born 1916 in Kilmarnock. Robert McAvoy and Jessie Moore were married in Ayr in 1898.

Mary Strathearn McAvoy, 35, died in Kilmarnock in 1951.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jim82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 23 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all that information Forfarian. You are clearly a pro at searchng the Scottish records.
That gives me a wealth of info to work with. It's so sad that Mary never married and died so young.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.

But never trust anything you find online, unless it's an original document - and even then be wary.

You should follow it all up by checking the original documents in case I have jumped to conclusions based on wrong assumptions