Author Topic: Postcard for dating please  (Read 739 times)

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Postcard for dating please
« on: Thursday 06 April 23 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

Ive seen posts before that say the divider on a postcard was introduced in 1902. This one has no divider, also it is a scene that has a similar typefont to many others. This one is Sibford Ferris Hill 2. Would anyone know the source of this one, Im looking for confirmation of the pre-1902 theory and if anyone may know of the publisher

The man in the scene may be my friend Jake's Great grandather. Jake is 73 now and remains convinced. Both  back and front are shown

Many thanks again!

South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard for dating please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 23 12:26 BST (UK) »
Just moving this one up; it was dropping out of sight.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard for dating plea
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 23 13:16 BST (UK) »
I can’t be precise but before 1902 when the division between message and address came in.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 April 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
Just moving this one up; it was dropping out of sight.
Peter

Thanks Peter
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Postcard for dating plea
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 23 14:27 BST (UK) »
I can’t be precise but before 1902 when the division between message and address came in.

Thanks Jebber - the confirmation I was after was the date of the inclusion of the divider. I did see a chat about it being 1902 but wanted to be sure.
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 April 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
The card here doesn't have an actual line drawn down the middle of the back, but you can see that one side of the back is headed "Correspondence" and the other side "Address". It is later than 1902 and and the inclusion of "British made" suggests after 1914, as many postcards were previously produced in Saxony. It could well be from the 1920s.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 April 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
The logo between POST and CARD should help to identify the publisher and possibly help with the date - can anyone make it out? Inside the ring I think there may be a shield with a monogram. The image enlarges quite nicely without pixelating, but it seems the original printing was rather blurry.

I was initially a bit confused by the divided back question: pre-1902 there was no division because the whole of the back was to be used for the address. But as GR2 says, the mention of correspondence on the back of this one, even though there's no line, means it must be post-1902. I wasn't sure about it being as late as the 1920s, though, as wouldn't the road have been tarmacked by then? But I suppose it could have been an older photo.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 April 23 17:34 BST (UK) »
Google lens matched to this (see image: I tried to post a link but it didn’t work. There are some more images on ebay with the same logo).

The picture on reverse shows a car (possibly a Bull nosed Morris?) which may help to date it, if the postcard is from the same time period:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373687593714

There is also a postcard of HMS Lydd with the same logo and that ship was completed in 1919.

Of course this doesn’t prove that the Sibford photo was taken as late as the car was made, only that the company was still using these cards at or after that time.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 April 23 19:37 BST (UK) »
Good thinking re Google Lens - I was going to ask if you'd found out who the publisher was, but I see the eBay seller doesn't know.

It does look rather like a Bull-nosed Morris, but more useful is the registration number - PM6097. The PM series was issued in Sussex from February 1922 to July 1927 (source: https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/pm.htm), so at a guess this one would have been registered around 1925.

So the publisher seems to have been in business and using that logo after that (but possibly before as well).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk