Author Topic: Children of John Hillary and Sarah Raymert  (Read 894 times)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Children of John Hillary and Sarah Raymert
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 April 23 13:45 BST (UK) »
No, I didn’t know that was a thing.

I have to admit I’m pretty convinced that the evidence for the death of father John Hillary before the wedding of Thomas is quite compelling, and that the differences in the John Hillary signatures point to the witness being brother John.

added: I have now scanned 20 pages of the register bracketing the Hillary-Terry marriage and I see no deceased fathers. Lesson learnt!
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 April 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
I've just checked my marriage cert, though it gives my Dad's name and occupation no mention of him being deceased, despite the fact that the priest not only knew Dad, he officiated at his funeral :-)
Boo

Offline ASmithy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 10 April 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
So sorry I was not on yesterday. I felt a little rough yesterday, feeling better today.

I was so surprised to see how many people want to help with this! I am so grateful to each one of you! You have found and supplied me with so much useful information and tips along with their sources.

AlanBoyd, I feel that those signatures, look a little bit different from the other two so, from my point of view I don't think they are the same. Maybe I am wrong though, what do you think? The effort you put into putting them all together to try and see similarities is greatful too. I suspect the 1851 Census you found of Thomas is the son of John. I didn't even suspect this so it's news to me and I will add it to the family tree. Edmund (his brother/my linage) was a Waterman too.

Jow65, Thank you for finding these! With two of their children born in Mirfield, it looks like they grew to stay within/come back to this place! Thank you :)

Ticketboo, it maybe the case. I know that this John (1816/Scotland) married Anne Ingham. In 1843, his daughter Sarah Raymert/Rayment Hillary died when she was very young. She was 1 years old. His occupation was also Cooper and he gave the abode Number 18 Waterdown, in Leeds. He had a few more children, Edmund (abt.1836), John Hillary (abt.1839), James Hillary (abt.1841), Elizabeth Hillary (abt.1843)

Alanboyd, It does look like that could be Christopher, where did you find this record if you dont mind me asking please?

Thank you Trish for quoting that census, you definitely found the right John [jnr] there! :)

Jow, WOW a David? Where did that come from! lol. Thank you for finding that, Not sure how you even managed that as I never, and going by some of the tree's on Ancestry they never knew about a David either!

Dundee, Thank you. It would be awsome to hold a copy of this or to quote the place where you found this on my tree if possible, I was surprised to see David and now a Mary Ann? I assume she was born in Mirfield too?

Ticket, That is the baptism I saw too, I strongly believe this is correct especially after one of you found that baptism of Edmund which named Sarah as daughter of James in Camebridgeshire. I will be sure to follow that lead and go with what you say! Every opportunity to make the family tree grow!

So sorry it has been a long reply. You have all done such an amazing job working together!

Thank you all so much!

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 10 April 23 19:46 BST (UK) »
Alanboyd, It does look like that could be Christopher, where did you find this record if you dont mind me asking please?

It’s at FindMyPast, “Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857”. If you have access this link should take you there:

https://tinyurl.com/22euuxne
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon