Author Topic: Hugh Henry of County Monaghan & County Antrim  (Read 719 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Henry of County Monaghan & County Antrim
« on: Sunday 09 April 23 18:06 BST (UK) »
Derek Thorn has been researching Hugh Henry of Co. Monaghan & Co. Antrim for more than a decade.
He found a baptism record for Hugh's daughter Jane Henry in 1824 in the Church of Ireland, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan. Her parents were listed as Hugh Henry and Ann Henry. In other records, Derek found Ann Henry referred to as Mary Ann Monford/Munford.

Hugh and Ann's son James Henry was born in 1826 and daughter Mary Ann in 1830, both baptised in Donegore First Presbyterian Church, County Antrim. Parents Hugh and Ann Henry were residents of Grange of Nilteen. Derek believes that the Henry family was in County Antrim from 1826 until at least the late 1840s, then moved to England.

A son Thomas Henry was born in Ireland in 1837 and a daughter Sarah Ann in 1841. Neither were in the Donegore church records that Derek had accessed on CD. However, he didn't have access to baptisms records in the 1830s-1840s period.

A transcript of the Donegore church register is on LDS FamilySearch Film # 007941112:

First Donegore Presbyterian Church, Co. Antrim : baptisms ... marriages ...
Statement of Responsibility: copied by Z. Mettam, 1967, [from] copy by David Stewart, 1933 [made from copy] by Samuel Lewis, 1929 ...
Authors:
    Mettam, Z. (Zara K.) (Main Author)
    Stewart, David (Added Author)
    First Presbyterian Church of Donegore (Donegore, Antrim) (Added Author)
Publication:  1966
Physical:  18, 16 leaves. / Subject Class: 941.61/D3 K29 / Notes - Typescript.

Filmed with: Register of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parish of Ballymoney, County Antrim, N. Ireland, 1807-1898 / Church of Ireland. Parish Church of Ballymoney.

Contents: Baptisms 1806-1808, 1811-1813, 1819-1821 -- marriages 1806-1808, 1811-1812, 1819-1841.

Since the Donegore baptisms on CD only cover certain years, some of the missing Henry children (born after 1821) may have been baptised at that church... Derek just hasn't had access to those years.

Today that CD of Donegore record transcripts is available on microfilm and viewable on-line at LDS FamilySearch.

There ARE more Donegore records than what's on the CD. For a description, see PRONI's Guide to Church records:

County Antrim
P. 1st Donegore Baptisms, 1806-96; marriages, 1806-1916; marriage notices, 1887- 2002;committee minutes, 1896-1951; communicants’ roll, 1871-91. MIC1P/79; T/3049/2; D1759/1A; CR/3/64 P. 2nd Donegore Baptisms, 1848-1957; marriages, 1845-1936; marriage notices, 1891-2001; session minutes, 1847-73 and 1933-72; committee minutes, 1891-1976; communicants’ roll, 1892-1933. MIC1P/153; CR/3/23; CR/3/64

These microfilmed Donegore church records can be accessed at the PRONI facility in the Belfast quarter.

I've written this to help anyone else working with a family who moved between County Monaghan and County Antrim, and who may have ancestors related to the Henrys. Derek has researched the Tithe Applotments, censuses, births/marriages/deaths, and many other records. If anyone does look-ups at PRONI, I know he'd be immensely grateful.

Annie

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Henry of County Monaghan & County Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 19:39 BST (UK) »
Here's a little more background on this HENRY family who lived in Co. Monaghan and Co. Antrim in the 1820s-1830s, and then moved to Walsall, Staffordshire, England by the late 1840s:

Hugh Henry & wife Ann (Mary Ann Monford/Montford/Munford) lived in Co. Monaghan when they baptised daughter Jane in 1824 at Ballybay Church of Ireland. They next appear in Co. Antrim, where they baptised son James in 1826 and daughter Mary Ann in 1830 at Donegore First Presbyterian Church.

When Hugh and Ann's daughter Jane Henry married Anthony Barnes in the Independent Chapel, Bridge St., Walsall, Staffordshire, in 1849, her father's name was given as Hugh Henry, Labourer, of Bradford St., Walsall. So we know that the Henrys were in Walsall at least by 1849. Jane and Anthony were counted at Walsall in the 1851 census, but we haven't found Jane's parents, Hugh and Ann Henry. I searched all of the Walsall borough that included Bradford Street -- no Henrys at all, only Jane and Anthony Barnes and a one-year-old daughter Catherine.

Did the Henry family split up by the time of the 1851 census, and the children went into different households as servants, or lived with relatives while their parents worked elsewhere? There's a Hugh and Ann Henry in Liverpool in 1851, ages 49 and 48, born Ireland -- but no children with them. Hugh is a porter. However, this couple is still in Liverpool in 1861, so not the "right" people.

A Hugh and Mary Henry are in the Manchester census of 1851, ages 45 and 30, born Ireland. With them are Michael Henry, 15, and Patrick Henry, 11, born Ireland. These children's names (and wife Mary's age) don't match for this to be the "right" family.

Hugh and Ann Henry and several children appear in the the 1861 census of Walsall, Staffordshire, England. Hugh and Ann are both age 59, born Ireland; Hugh is a brick maker, an occupation that at least one of his sons pursued.

Hugh Henry died in 1871 in Walsall, and his wife Ann died there in 1888.

I've been helping Derek with this family since I've researched Henrys in County Monaghan for years. We haven't yet found a connection of his family with any of the ones I've researched, but we're still looking.

Annie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 20:39 BST (UK) »
When Hugh and Ann's daughter Jane Henry married Anthony Barnes in the Independent Chapel, Bridge St., Walsall, Staffordshire, in 1849, her father's name was given as Hugh Henry, Labourer, of Bradford St., Walsall. So we know that the Henrys were in Walsall at least by 1849.
How do you know that 1) Hugh Henry was alive in 1849 and 2) he was living at Bradford St. in Walsall then? If these details are on his daughters English marriage registration then Hugh might have died before that date/ Certificates ask for residence of bridge and groom but that doesn't mean their families lived there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 22:07 BST (UK) »
Derek says about his ancestors: "Jane Henry married Anthony Barnes in the Independent Chapel, Bridge St. Walsall in 1849. Jane's father was given as Hugh Henry, Labourer, of Bradford St. Walsall."

That's more data than you see on typed on-line indexes; it's from the original marriage record.

Hugh and Ann Henry were counted in the 1861 census at Walsall:

1861 England Census - Walsall, Staffordshire

Hugh Henry - 59 (born abt 1802) - Brick maker - Ireland
Ann Henry - 59 (born abt 1802) - wife - Ireland
Mary A. Henry - 20 (born abt 1841) - dau - unmarried - Ireland
Sarah A. Henry - 25 (born abt 1836) - dau - unmarried - Ireland
James Henry - 2 - grson
George Henry - 2 - grson
Robert Henry - 6 Weeks - grson

Civil parish:  Walsall Foreign
Ecclesiastical parish: Lichfield
Town: Walsall
County/Island: Staffordshire
Registration district:  Walsall, Sub-registration district: Walsall
ED, institution, or vessel:36
Household schedule number: 215
Piece: 2017, Folio: 21, Page Number: 40

---------------------------------------------

Hugh and Ann died in Walsall in 1871 (Hugh) and 1888 (Ann).

England & Wales Death Index, 1837-1915
Name:     Hugh Henery
Estimated Birth Year:     abt 1804
Date of Registration:     Jan-Feb-Mar 1871
Age at Death:     67
Registration district:     Walsall
Inferred County:     Staffordshire
Volume:     6b
Page:     422

-----------------------------------------------

England & Wales Death Index, 1837-1915
Name:     Ann Henry
Estimated Birth Year:     abt 1804
Date of Registration:     Jul-Aug-Sep 1888
Age at Death:     84
Registration district:     Walsall
Inferred County:     Staffordshire
Volume:     6b
Page:     339

-----------------------------------------

I think Derek has copies of those original records, as well. He lives in England and doesn't have to rely totally on Ancestry.com and LDS FamilySearch indexes for his ancestors' British records.

Thanks so much,

Annie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 22:14 BST (UK) »
Derek says about his ancestors: "Jane Henry married Anthony Barnes in the Independent Chapel, Bridge St. Walsall in 1849. Jane's father was given as Hugh Henry, Labourer, of Bradford St. Walsall."

That's more data than you see on typed on-line indexes; it's from the original marriage record.

Yes, could certainly be from the marriage registration but that still doesn't mean that Hugh Henry was alive or living in Walsall in 1849. If those are the exact details from the marriage then it means that Jane Henry was living at Bradford St. in Walsall when she married and that she was the daughter of Hugh Henry (who could have been dead of alive in 1849).

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for adding to the discussion.
Ref the marriage see below -taken from original by a relative
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/7483416/person/6087972780/facts

Original
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/172406330/person/242235496263/media/f15c74cb-2210-4674-82f0-a0ba91b1cbe9

I was really hoping for were Irish  reords for earlier data.  I just have to remain patient.

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 07:27 BST (UK) »

For Ancestry non-users, those links open at the subscription page.

Maybe take some time to post images for all to see rather than links to Ancestry.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
I have done my best with the image only. It kept telling me that the file was too large!

I'm reluctant to concentrate on this aspect though as it only confirms what is already understood. I had really hoped to find out more on the Antrim and  Monaghan links. I understand that this builds a picture for others but I'm not getting any younger. Ho! ho!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate confirms what I said at the start- Bradford Street in Walsall is the BRIDE's residence at the time but doesn't mean her family were living there.

I also found posts about Hugh Henry also here-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=825763.msg7428399#msg7428399

There are, just from reading both threads, two things that are bothering me.
Ballybay to Donegore would have been a considerable distance but also Jane's baptism in Monaghan was in the Church of Ireland whereas the Antrim ones were Presbyterian.

Jane's mother listed as Ann but other records give Mary Ann as Hugh's wife. Could Ann be a first wife and he remarried to a Mary Ann?

1861 census shows a daughter Mary A. Henry age 20 (born c1841) yet Donegore baptism is 1830.

1861 census also dhows a daughter Sara A. Henry age 25 (born c1836). Where does born 1841 come from in original post?