Author Topic: Andrew Newton of Ramsey (c1790-1865) and Sarah Sidney (1783-1859)  (Read 838 times)

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
Andrew Newton of Ramsey (c1790-1865) and Sarah Sidney (1783-1859)
« on: Sunday 09 April 23 23:09 BST (UK) »
I am interested to to know anyone else has Andrew Newton, son of Samuel Newton and Mary Andrew. He was born in Lincolnshire, but the family moved to Ramsey, Huntingdonshire. In 1849 he married Sarah Abbott (née Sidney), but I can't find anywhere the parish register images so I can confirm her father's name. I'm also interested in Sarah's first marriage to William Abbott in 1827, and William's subsequent burial.

I'm in Canada, so can't visit the Huntingdon/Cambridgeshire Archives in person. I've checked the FamilySearch catalogue, including the unindexed records, and so far haven't turned up any images of the parish register for St Thomas a Becket Church in Ramsey.

Has anyone else worked on this family?

Thanks,

Teresa
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Newton of Ramsey (c1790-1865) and Sarah Sidney (1783-1859)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 23 23:49 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Andrew appears to be a widower but has a 20yr old Sarah Newton living with him shown as Housekeeper.  Sarah is shown as not born in county so was presumably b Lincolnshire.

If Andrew lived in the same place 1837 - 1841 then his wife must have died before 1.7.1837 as there is no death to 1841

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M772-3GT

In 1841 Sarah Abbott appears to be a widow.  There is no death in Hunts 1837 -1841 for William so he must have died before 1.7.1837
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 23 02:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I did see that census entry for Andrew. He also had a niece named Sarah Newton (mentioned in his will), so I wonder if she was the Sarah in question. Because the form didn't have a column for marital status it's hard to know if Andrew Newton was married or widowed, and how Sarah was related to him. I did see the Sarah Abbott in 1851, living in Warboys, Hunts - correct age and also indicated she wasn't born in the county.

All speculation at this point - I will have to save some coins to buy that marriage certificate from 1849. There's no indication if they married in the church as well because the parish registers are missing.

Over at FindMyPast I found a burial for a William Abbott in April 1834 in Ramsey, plus, his will is available at the Cambridgeshire/Hunts Archives, but on microfilm only :( I will have to enquire about the cost of digitization.

Thanks again for your contribution :)

In 1841 Andrew appears to be a widower but has a 20yr old Sarah Newton living with him shown as Housekeeper.  Sarah is shown as not born in county so was presumably b Lincolnshire.

If Andrew lived in the same place 1837 - 1841 then his wife must have died before 1.7.1837 as there is no death to 1841

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M772-3GT

In 1841 Sarah Abbott appears to be a widow.  There is no death in Hunts 1837 -1841 for William so he must have died before 1.7.1837
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 15:00 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census gives Sarah's birth place as Norwich, Norfolk.

There was a Sarah Sidney baptised there in 1783, although a few years earlier than the census suggests.

Her parents were John Sidney and Rebecca Flower(s), probably married on 6th November 1768 at St Peter Permountergate, Norwich.

There are some references to Andrew Newton in the newspaper archives on FindMyPast. In 1855, one of them mentions that Mrs. Newton had a sister, Mary Ann Rose. I think she may have been her sister-in-law, because a number of trees have her as Mary Ann Abbott.

Andrew gave his birth place as Swarby, but I can't find a baptism, although there are some Newtons there around the same time.

David

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Andrew - good to know someone else came up with what I did. I will try to track down that article on FindMyPast. I'd done a brief search, but now I have a year, will go back to find it.

Researching William Abbott was a little tough as well given all I had was a name and it's a common one.

I really appreciate your input  :)

Teresa

The 1851 census gives Sarah's birth place as Norwich, Norfolk.

There was a Sarah Sidney baptised there in 1783, although a few years earlier than the census suggests.

Her parents were John Sidney and Rebecca Flower(s), probably married on 6th November 1768 at St Peter Permountergate, Norwich.

There are some references to Andrew Newton in the newspaper archives on FindMyPast. In 1855, one of them mentions that Mrs. Newton had a sister, Mary Ann Rose. I think she may have been her sister-in-law, because a number of trees have her as Mary Ann Abbott.

Andrew gave his birth place as Swarby, but I can't find a baptism, although there are some Newtons there around the same time.

David

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 18:42 BST (UK) »
I found a marriage announcement for Andrew Newton, and Mrs. Abbott, widow of late Wm Abbott of Ramsey from March 1849 :)

“Marriages,” Cambridge Independent Press, and Huntingdon, Bedford, & Peterborough Gazette (Cambridge, Cambs), 31 Mar 1849, 3h; digital image, FindMyPast (http://www.findmypast.co.uk: 11 April 2023).

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 19:28 BST (UK) »

At that time in-law relatives were often referred to without the suffix - so a brother or sister in law was called my brother or sister (see lots of Jane Austen for examples!)

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 21:47 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Looking at the Pallot's Marriage Index image it looks like Wm ABBOTT was a widower when he married Sarah SIDNEY  by lic. in 1827, Ramsey Huntingdonshire.

A possible burial for William,

St Thomas a Becket, Ramsey, Huntingdonshire
Burial date:  14 Apr 1834
William ABBOTT
Huntingdonshire

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Daisy - In the time since I posted, I did more research and found what you did...again, good to know that I'm coming up with the same results as other researchers. I really appreciate your input :)