Author Topic: Looking for Neilan family, Garrison, County Fermanagh, early-mid 1800s  (Read 351 times)

Offline shawnfbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My ancestor Miles Neilan, born abt 1841 married Susan Gaughan 1865 in Scotland.  Scottish census data records Miles' birthplace as Ireland.  Brother William Neilan, born abt 1838, married Margaret McGoldrick 1855 in Scotland, both listing birthplace as Garrison, County Fermanagh, Ireland.  Brother Michael Neilan married Bridget Kelly in Scotland 1865, born abt 1840.  3 Neilan brothers all married Catholic church in Scotland.  3 Neilan brothers list their parents as Thomas Neilan and Helen Flanagan.

My search for birth/baptism records came up empty--records appear to begin 1860 or so, but just wanted to confirm lack of information?

Also, looking for any other information on these Neilan brothers, or parents Thomas Neilan and Helen Flanagan in the Garrison area, County Fermanagh. 

Thank you.     

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Neilan family, Garrison, County Fermanagh, early-mid 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 23 02:31 BST (UK) »

Do you have images of the marriage records for the three NEILAN brothers in Scotland?

Offline shawnfbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 23 03:35 BST (UK) »
Yes.  I don't know how to post on here.  Is posting marriage records permissible on this site?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 23 07:17 BST (UK) »

Garrison
Diocese of Clogher | County of Fermanagh
Variant forms of parish name:
Inis Muighe Saimh

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0311

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shawnfbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 23 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for Garrison Registers tip.  Unfortunately the registers begin 1860 and my Neilans were born prior.  I think there was another brother Thomas, but I don't know his birthyear, so I can't search the parish registers by date for him.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 23 15:56 BST (UK) »
The Scottish marriage certificates should say whether Thomas and Helen were alive or dead in 1855 and 1865. Between the 3 certificates you may be able to narrow down the dates of their deaths. (It’ll say dcd after their names if they are dead. If nothing, they were alive). Also what was Thomas’s occupation?

Death registration started in 1864 in Ireland. I can see a death for an Ellen Neilan in Brollagh in 1882 aged 59. (Ellen & Helen are interchangeable in Ireland). She was a farmer’s widow.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1882/06393/4835632.pdf

No Thomas death 1864 – 1901.

There was another Myles Nealon who lived in Derrynacross. Irish families tended to repeat names so there might be a connection.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1894/05977/4699098.pdf

He was a carpenter. Is that a family occupation?

Another Myles here in the same townland. He was born in Co Leitrim. However Derrynacross is on the border with Leitrim so he may just have been born a few hundred yards away.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Inishmacsaint/Derrynacross/1360038/

Derrynacross and Brollagh are both just a short distance from Garrison village. Half a mile or so.
Elwyn

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 07:36 BST (UK) »

I don't know how to post on here.  Is posting marriage records permissible on this site?

Yes it is.

You can attach them to a post here. 

When replying to a post, click on the "Attachments and other options" (in blue) below the text box.
Select that and then click “Choose File”, to find the photo/file that you want to attach.

Derrynacross townland (on the Fermanagh/Leitrim border) with Brollagh townland to the east (and both about 2-3 miles from Garrison).

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3573521#map=12/54.4415/-8.0894
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3619067#map=12/54.4413/-8.0877

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline tuathanach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 November 23 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I hope this e-mail finds you. We are related. My great x 3 grandfather is William Neilan, son of Thomas Neilan from Garrison, Co. Fermanagh.

The family story has it that there were three brothers from Co. Clare originally who moved to Garrison: Thomas, Myles and Daniel. I'm not sure when they are said to have moved but we think it was around 1810-1830.

The children of Thomas all seemed to have emigrated to Scotland.

I would love to touch base if you are still researching the family? I live in Ireland myself, though not in Fermanagh.

Looking forward to hearing from you.