Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 16th April  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 16th April
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 08:27 BST (UK) »
It sounds as if you all had a busy and enjoyable time over Easter. Although rain forecast all week here it’s sunny at the moment so, maybe somewhat optimistically , I have put my washing on.

Take care everyone,

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 11:01 BST (UK) »
I'm considering doing a wash - not sure if I'll fancy trying to hang it out - or rather, getting OH to hanging it out as I'm still not supposed to reach upwards!
Oh, can't remember who mentioned it, but yes, our Good Friday pilgrimage / hike was in Yorkshire. I actually am sure that Good Friday wasn't really seen as a Bank Holiday over there, decades back.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 11:16 BST (UK) »
Such busy people, it is all worthwhile though when it is a success which the events described obviously were.
Well done!

My grandson and little family came ,the boy, Flash Harry — gave my son and I a tiny box each, one inch by half an inch containing a little chocolate egg .
We laughed but then  the most ginormous Lindt Eggs each filled with chocolates!!!! So we laughed again.
Baby Kyra was a delight ,quite sociable and confident mshe is tiny but when I picked her up a good solid weight !
I gave them their small eggs and we had an indoor hunt as we had a cloudburst with snow and big hailstones just before they came.
I had got F.H a book on Fossils and Kyra a pop up toy .,animals, tap ,slide, turn and press switches ,she shrieked with laughter .
We had an indoor picnic ,ie the children had a cloth on the carpet we adults ate from our knees etc. Just a big ham and salad and b&b and crisps, really easy and I had made a lemon drizzle ,well two, loaves.
Indoor skittles too and identifying a caterpillar I had found the day before .

We are having a Jacob’s feast for The Coronation ,I have pledged two dozen cheese and herb scones which will be forty eight halves ,,buttered,some with tomato slices and some with  cucumber slices and I will do a big traybake which will cut into 32 modest pieces ,or 24 good sized ones,we will see what is needed.
I must contact someone re time and preparation etc.
It is nice to be getting into the swing again ,it will never be quite the same but still a lot of comradeship and friendliness.
Well must crack on, things being moved from my neighbour’s  today, aids such as  , walking frame, stick tripod ,food trolley ,drug time reminders etc. Very sad.
I miss her so much and we never said cheerio.
I would visit but will leave it to her daughter to say when she is ready ,it is possible she won’t recognise me ,her memory was fading fast.

Let’s end on a happy note ,son and his nephew ie my grandson who is Flash Harry and Kyra’s daddy,we’re working out when we could go to visit them,
School holiday time etc so we can go detectoring  on land and sea,well streams .
We bought him a metal detector fir Christmas abd a water magnet one for his Birthday ,which will be in May
Yippeeeeeee!
 Cheerio  folks,thanks for your news all,and so pleased those so busy this weekend had lovely results which will have heartened so many other people .
Well done , nice to read all about the events ,just sorry you did not get any of your own trifle L.M.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 11:44 BST (UK) »
Pleased you had a  good  day with your family,  they grow up very quicky, like the idea of an indoor picnic laid out on a tablecloth, I did it once for our grandchildren only to be told by my son in law that the children don't eat off the floor  , I suspect they had gone home and said they ate of the floor, but it was covered with a table cloth, miserable I call it,  never did it again.

Well it does look like rain but I am taking tbe chance of putting washing  out, it is blowy so , worth a risk but I will  gave to move  quickly if it rains

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 14:21 BST (UK) »
I have washing out too L.M.
Good stiff breeze and some sun,so hopefully will be ironed and away when aired this evening when heating comes on for a while.

Need a few things from the shops, son will take me but he starts to get ready then something comes through in the computer so I wait ,and wait, he really feels he is helping but sometimes it is not helpful as he has to hurry back and I leave things to next time!
Small problem in the grand scheme of things .
Look after yourselves .
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 17:09 BST (UK) »
Pleased you had a  good  day with your family,  they grow up very quicky, like the idea of an indoor picnic laid out on a tablecloth, I did it once for our grandchildren only to be told by my son in law that the children don't eat off the floor  , I suspect they had gone home and said they ate of the floor, but it was covered with a table cloth, miserable I call it,  never did it again.

LM

It’s hard sometimes navigating being a grandparent isn’t it LM.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
Well I think sometimes I  just have to mind my place as it were, we were allowed to chastise the children , if need be if we looked  after them which we did quite a lot, but on one occasion something happened  in their home,   I had a word with my grandaughter, think she  was playing with her younger brother  at the time,  being  a bit rough, wasn't meaning  any harm but the parents weren't in  the room,  later in my own home my daughter mentioned that my son in law had said it was up to them to chastised the children in his house, in other words, butt out,  wasn't best pleased but kept my mouth closed, my 2 lovely grandchildren are now 23 and coming up 21, I know  my place.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
Well L.M, I had the joy of looking after my grandchildren ,they were very good but as needs be I checked  them ,really on points on safety .
I always told my daughter in front of the children what had happened and my way of dealing with it , she never contested what I had said partly as the children were there but mostly because what I had said was fair and factual,
safety was a big thing with my daughter and son in law.
I never blasted the children as my grandson was extremely sensitive and it would have crushed him emotionally ,but to be honest I can’t remember it ever being needed.
Now he is a confident young man ,also his sister who was built of sterner stuff anyway .
He deals with F,H, and baby calmly but FH in particular knows he means exactly what he says.
My maximum was save your big guns ‘ til last and hope you never need to use them !
Such a pleasure to take them out and on holiday ,my daughter gets  the  same joy from F.H and Kyra.

I think in your own home you have say about what happens ,especially on points of safety.
I would have sided with my M in L had she ever had to chastise my sons, they needed to respect her.
Hope things were not said in front if your grandchildren!
That undermines authority.
Don’t worry about it , the children will probably  respect  you anyway ,they do if dealt with calmly and fairly .

Tell me how you make your trifle please.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 18:28 BST (UK) »
Nothing special Victoria about my trifle
Jam sponge, cut into rounds
3 or 4 various  colour jellies

Put into the base of a nice glass or crystal bowl the sponge circles, 
I then pour sherry over the top,  as much or as little as you want
I melt jelly squares, I put then in a jug with a little, water and put then in the microwave for 1 minute, make it up to about 1pt with cold water.
Pour the  melted jelly over the top of the sponge, just to cover the sponge , any excess I make up a small jelly with the leftovers ,  put in fridge till set.
Open a   tin of mixed fruits and carefully pour over the settled jelly minus the juice,  just cover the fruit with jelly.
I  usually do 3 or 4 jellies, different colours  the final layer I use sliced peaches and arrange on top, I then make up another jelly and spoon and just cover the
peaches  very carefully to keep the arrangement.
Any excess from each jelly I make up a rainbow plain jelly.
Cream if wished

Good luck
LM

This does make quite a large trifle,  you could use half a jelly tablet each time.

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London