Author Topic: Stanley PHILLIPS, Artist & Lecturer (Edinburgh)  (Read 206 times)

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
Stanley PHILLIPS, Artist & Lecturer (Edinburgh)
« on: Monday 10 April 23 11:17 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information that (or connection to) anyone may have on Stanley Phillips (1911-1994).  After WW2, he lectured in various mechanical engineering subjects at Bristo Technical Institute (which became Napier College I believe) and latterly Leith Nautical College before retiring.

However, he was also an artist.  I have one of his paintings.  I believe that Heriot-Watt University and Edinburgh City Art Centre both have one each as well.  I'd be interested in any information - or pointers - that anyone can offer about his time as an artist and/or lecturer.
Auger, Brechin, Comley, Dawson, Guthrie, Hanks, Paterson, Phillips, and Wolfe

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley PHILLIPS, Artist & Lecturer (Edinburgh)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 23 11:30 BST (UK) »
If he died in Scotland in 1994. he was Stanley Alfred Phillips mmn Weekes born in Kent

Did he marry?  Any living children you can contact for info?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1944 to Jeanie Johanna Thomson so if they had children - they could still be alive
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 23 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole - yes, that's the chap. I know his family tree - I am related to him - and there is (probably) one descendant that I'm currently trying to contact.

However, I'm really just trying to flesh out both his time as a lecturer and as an artist.  I've found very little information about Bristo Technical Institute - my assumption is that it was subsumed into Napier College sometime in the late 50s or early 60s?  He was one of the first few lecturers to start Bristo going I believe.  I don't know whether it was based near what is now Bristo Square or somewhere completely different.

And his time as an (amateur, I assume) artist is even harder to find out about.  I'm aware of about half a dozen paintings but I wonder whether he was selling them to augment his income or just doing it for the love of it...

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 23 12:40 BST (UK) »
A Bristo Technical School was in Marshall Street, but that part of Marshall Street is indeed now Bristo Square. (I assume that this is the same institution.) That part of Edinburgh has changed a lot.

You can see it at the bottom right of the map linked at: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102734015
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Martin Guthrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • "I stand for truth"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 23 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan - very interesting - that's almost certainly the same place.  I've found out a bit more and 1962 must have been just before it was effectively subsumed into what became Napier College in 1964.  Apparently, the Bristo staff became the nucleus of Napier when it started up and courses that were being taught at Bristo became courses at Napier, being taught by the same lecturers.

The space that the Bristo Technical School / Institute occupied is now The Bayes Centre at the University of Edinburgh.