Author Topic: Irish Tailor  (Read 310 times)

Offline timothypickles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Irish Tailor
« on: Monday 10 April 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Irish tailors? Is there a guild that I can contact or anywhere where there would be records?
What would it be like to try to eke together a living as a tailor? and how likely is it that an Irish tailor may have moved to Scotland? Or changed their occupation all together?

Thanks in advance
Allgood, Stokoe, Harland, Downey, Minehan, King, Watts, Stanton, McCarthy, Sullivan, Murray, Mawston, Murphy, Tyson, Salton, Marshall, Bulmer, Garnet, Bowser, Pemberton, Alderman, Shuckburgh, Addison, Sedman, Duck, Ellis, Hart, Richardson, Coverdale and Green amongst others

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Tailor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 23 18:22 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that the occupation is "Tailor" and not "Sailor"?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline timothypickles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 23 18:33 BST (UK) »
Yes
Allgood, Stokoe, Harland, Downey, Minehan, King, Watts, Stanton, McCarthy, Sullivan, Murray, Mawston, Murphy, Tyson, Salton, Marshall, Bulmer, Garnet, Bowser, Pemberton, Alderman, Shuckburgh, Addison, Sedman, Duck, Ellis, Hart, Richardson, Coverdale and Green amongst others

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 23 18:56 BST (UK) »
In my experience you won't find any useful guild records. Training and apprenticeship in Ireland seems to have been largely undocumented.

Did people move from Ireland to Scotland? Yes, tens of thousands did.  If you examine the Scottish censuses around Glasgow, for example, in the late 1800s  you will often find that about 10% of the folk were born in Ireland. Often from the counties of Ulster. The 1911 census frequently has places of birth as opposed to just "Ireland" if that helps.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 23 22:11 BST (UK) »
Our neighbours were tailors living in a small house in a rural area. They worked at home, sitting cross-legged on the floor. They likely learned their trade at home from an early age. One of the old quilts i our house was made from scraps of woolen material and a textile expert was able to date the fabric and confirm it was made from woven woolen fabric that would have been used in men's suits.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 23 22:32 BST (UK) »
I have an account written by an American William Beattie of his trip to Antrim town in 1872/3. He was born in the US but his ancestors came from Antrim.  It's a lengthy detailed description (which I am happy to share with anyone) but it happens to include a story about a tailor from Antrim. Not sure it will necessarily help Timothy find his family but may give a bit of background sense. Does for me, anyway.

“We returned from Coleraine to Uncle Sam's and started to talk of returning home. They wanted to keep me in Ireland and made all kinds of promises as to sending me to college and, as they put it, making a man of Willie. Mother listened to it all and at last she said, "We will leave it up to Will, Promise him all you like and
give him time to think it over and let him decide." I had been sickly up until the time we had started on our trip and was now entirely well and as robust as any boy my age. I had had a gorgeous time so they all thought they would have an easy time persuading me to stay. I heard all they had to say, but I did not need any time to make up my mind. Nothing doing! I was going back to old Missouri in the United States where all were alike, one as good as another, where there were no Lords or Ladies to bow to and no king or Queen to adore. That settled the matter, so then the uncles made up to outfit me with clothes made there in Ireland.

They went to Antrim and bought cloth. One evening they called me into the kitchen and there was a big burly man on a stool with the cloth on his knees. I was introduced to him as the tailor who would make my new clothes. He told me to stand out in front of him and to stand up straight and to turn around which I did. Then he got up and said, "All right. I will have the clothes in a week." He did not seem to have a tape measure with him and he took no measurements whatever. Sure enough he brought the clothes in a week and everything fitted perfectly. There was not a single alteration necessary. That started me thinking. I had watched the carpenter at McConnells make the cart without a plan and here was a tailor who looked more like a farmhand than a tailor, able to make me clothes that fit without even one measurement. After the time I had had in Philadelphia getting that overcoat, with three tailors and at least six fittings, my brain went to work to figure out how it was these fellows could do the work to perfection without all the detail of plan measurements. That line of thought has followed me all my life and made me the mechanic I have proved to
be. To carve a statue one must see the form within the block. In other words, one must see an object in detail and visualize it entirely before starting to make it. By intensive concentration many hard problems are overcome”.

Elwyn

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 10:32 BST (UK) »
I was doing a lookup in old newspapers for someone else this morning about an Irish tailor in the 1850s (from memory). There were a few mentions of this particular person. It's always worthwhile doing a newspaper search, interesting snippets may turn up - apart from family notices and bankruptcies there may be advertisements, court cases, quirky stories. (Or there may be nothing, it's the luck of the draw.)  :)