Author Topic: JACK HOWARD SELF 1921  (Read 503 times)

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JACK HOWARD SELF 1921
« on: Tuesday 11 April 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Jack Howard SELF(E) died on 24 March 1921 while serving with the Gloucestershire Regt. Aged 19, he was stationed at Kilworth Camp, Co Cork when he died from an accidental shooting.
Jack was born in Bristol in 1902. In 1911, aged 9, he is listed in the Census as a boarder with a Mrs Stinton in the Stapleton sub-district of Bristol. It is believed that his father was James Self (or Selfe).
Big question- where is Jack Self buried? Was he buried in Ireland? Or was he brought back to England for burial, probably in the Bristol area?
Jack Howard Self is currently listed on the Brookwood Memorial i.e place of burial unknown. Can anyone help with any information? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: JACK HOWARD SELF 1921
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 11:42 BST (UK) »
I presume you have his Birth Reg GRO with Mothers maiden name as FIELDING?

And according to this Father was James;

https://www.cairogang.com/soldiers-killed/self-jh/self-jh.html

Nothing I could see on Findagrave in Fermoy area for his Burial

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 23 12:01 BST (UK) »
Same answer from me as here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=872024.msg7432986

Jack Howard Self is currently listed on the Brookwood Memorial i.e place of burial unknown.

Why do you think it is just a memorial and place of burial unknown?

BROOKWOOD MILITARY CEMETERY is owned by the Commission and is the largest Commonwealth war cemetery in the United Kingdom, covering approximately 37 acres.

In 1917, an area of land in Brookwood Cemetery (The London Necropolis) was set aside for the burial of men and women of the forces of the Commonwealth and Americans, who had died, many of battle wounds, in the London district.

This site was further extended to accommodate the Commonwealth casualties of the Second World War.

Debra  :)

Offline trevalyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 22:29 BST (UK) »
The purpose of Brookwood Memorial is to commemorate those who are known to have died but whose place of burial is unknown.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 23:41 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't the MoD have records of his burial given the circumstances of his death?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)