Author Topic: 1626 Testament Testamentar & Inventar - need help deciphering some words  (Read 672 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1626 Testament Testamentar & Inventar - need help deciphering some words
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 22:23 BST (UK) »
Seventh bit:

de spe[ci]ali mandato p[re]fati Davidi Barbour
[               ] testante manu propria

In Latin - by special command of the foresaid David Barbour
[                ] witness my [i.e. my own] hand

The word after David's name looks like panecitidi and will describe him. The nearest Latin I can think of is pannicida, which means a kind of tailor, but that might not be right.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 22:26 BST (UK) »
Eighth bit:

sones & ex[ecuto]rs d[e]sernit [= decerned, legally approved and appointed] to vmq[uhi]le David
                                                                                                                              barbour In

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 April 23 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hello, GR2,

Please forgive my tardiness in responding to your last posts.  There's been construction going on at my house and I haven't had much time to think beyond the turmoil that is construction. 

Thank you so much for sifting through the 6th, 7th and 8th parts of this somewhat challenging penmanship.

I had a thought that perhaps, re the sixth part, which I also thought had something to do with advice from God, after staring at that phrase for about an hour I came up with "ad[vi]ss b[e] gu[ide]d", indicating that the children were to be guided by the advice of their Tutors and Guiders.  Do you think this is a plausible interpretation of that phrase?

I also had a thought that perhaps, re the seventh part, the missing word is "pronunties" but somewhat phonetically spelled by the clerk.  The phrase 'pronunties testante manu propria' translates to 'pronounced as a witness with his own hand', which would make sense in this Testament.  What do you think?

Re the eighth bit, as soon as I read your interpretation I could see it in the original document.  Couldn't see that at all.  But, I have to say this document's penmanship had me seeing double at times!

Thank you so much, once again for your assistance.  Please let me know what you think of my above two possible interpretations.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In the 6th bit, I don't think it's "be guided" as it's "to" rather than "be". The sense is that the executors are to work together to carry out the provisions of the will.

In the 7th bit, "testante manu propria" all goes together "witness my hand". The mystery word doesn't go with this, but with the previous part. It has a Latin genitive singular ending, which makes it go with "Davidi", which has the same ending.

Ita est [= it is so] gulielmus brysoune [= William Bryson] notarius pub[licus] [= notary public] In premissis requisitus [= asked to the premisses] de speciali mandato [= by special command] p[re]fati Davidi Barbour [= of the foresaid David Barbour] [            ] testante manu propria [= witness my hand]

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, GR2

Thank you for weighing in on my last two suggestions.  For the 6th bit what do you think of
"ad[vi]ss to gud[e]"?

I guess that one word in the 8th bit is going to remain a mystery.  Any combination of 'pa' plus 'nen', 'nun' + 'tie', 'ties', 'tiei' only comes up with a Latin word in some form for panting or advertising!
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 23:55 BST (UK) »
"Ad[vi]ss to gud[e]" is as good a suggestion as any.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, GR2

Thank you for your response on my latest suggestion.  I'll use that phrase but mark it with a question mark.  With your generous assistance this Testament is almost 100% complete.  Sometimes there are things that just can't be overcome in genealogy. 

Thank you so much, GR2.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with these difficult documents and I really appreciate your experience and knowledge.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner