Author Topic: Can't find OPR birth/baptism that apparently does exist.  (Read 318 times)

Offline Gateaux23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can't find OPR birth/baptism that apparently does exist.
« on: Wednesday 12 April 23 14:07 BST (UK) »

On FindMyPast there is an 18/20 July 1831 birth and baptism record for a person named Jane Burnet Cruickshank. For some unknown reason I've never been able to find this on ScotlandsPeople.

The FindMyPast record has the following reference information:

Page 61
Archive Ref OPR 168A/27
Year Range 1854-1855 (<-- ???)
Place Aberdeen
Item 27

On census records she always stated that she was born in Turriff. Parish 168A is Aberdeen, where she did live for quite some time from a young age. The reference above, although for 1831, gives a year range of 1854-1855.

I was thinking of looking for mistakenly unindexed births by trying to find other births that might be on the same page or nearby. As seen in the reference info above I have a parish number and a page number. But what is "item 27"?

I found an 1853 record for a random person with reference 168/A 270 / 57. Would "270" be what FindMyPast calls "Item 27"? If so, then I could perhaps be four pages away.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew what "item 27" meant, because I seem to be missing an important part of the actual OPR reference number.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find OPR birth/baptism that apparently does exist.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 14:25 BST (UK) »
The record is also on Family Search:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XBQ4-7G6
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 14:39 BST (UK) »
There is a Jane Burnett Cruickshank baptism in Turriff - but it's 1846:

Cruickshank, Jane Burnett -- William Cruickshank/Jane Watt -- F -- 12/06/1846 -- 247 30/180 -- Turriff

Not sure if this helps or hinders...  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Gateaux23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi the other JBC is an unrelated person whose father was a GP. I've always wondered if they were related but have never found a connection.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 15:24 BST (UK) »

The reference above, although for 1831, gives a year range of 1854-1855.

Perhaps the reason for the year anomaly is that in 1854, in the lead up to the introduction of statutory registration of births in 1855, lots of "neglected entries" were written into the parish records. These are baptisms from earlier years which were not recorded at the time, but were added in 1854.

Another thing to watch for is that many people with middle names acquired them later in life and they don't always appear in the record of baptism.

Offline Gateaux23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 15:57 BST (UK) »
Found it eventually after searching for anyone named John (just picked a common name). Saw a john on a page 61. But the actual page in the image was 58-59.  Another 6 credits took me to pages 60-61 where I found Jane.

Those pages are basically double pages in a big table with whole bunches of consecutive entries belonging the same parents all being added years after the fact.

Hard find. But got there.