Author Topic: William Quinn; John Quinn; Hugh Quinn Three Lost Brothers  (Read 470 times)

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
  • Quinn of Convoy and related families
    • View Profile
William Quinn; John Quinn; Hugh Quinn Three Lost Brothers
« on: Wednesday 12 April 23 15:59 BST (UK) »

William Quinn and Mary Houston had three sons who left Donegal for Scotland and have never been heard from since.

William Quinn
William was born on 15th June 1874 in Meenbane I was told that he was killed by a train in Scotland.

John Quinn
John was born on 8th January 1877 in Lettermakenny. I was told that he and worked as a doorman in Motherwell.

Hugh Quinn
Hugh was born on the 8th September 1882 in Mullinavey. In Census 1901 he was described as an agricultural labourer and still in Ballindrait but by 1911 he had gone.

It was my granduncle Willie born in 1886 who told me about William and John and he never heard of Hugh.

This is all I have and would be grateful for any information.
Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William Quinn; John Quinn; Hugh Quinn Three Lost Brothers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 16:25 BST (UK) »
You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There are deaths of William Quinn, mother's maiden surname Houston, aged 27, in Rutherglen in 1903, and John Quinn, mmn Houston, aged 39 in Dalziel in 1916. Motherwell is in the parish of Dalziel.

There are six Hugh Quinns, born 1882 plus or minus 3 years, in the deaths index with no mmn.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 16:25 BST (UK) »
Deaths in Scotland's People database-
QUINN WILLIAM, age 27, mother's maiden name- HOUSTON, 1903, 654 / 319 RUTHERGLEN

QUINN JOHN, age 39. mother's maiden name- HOUSTON, 1916, 639 / 538 DALZIEL
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Those death dates go towards explaining why nobody knew anything about them.

Scotstoun and Yoker in 1917 might be Hugh?
Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 20:49 BST (UK) »
In my 1911 Motherwell Directory there is only one John Quinn listed. His occupation is given as a bricklayer and he was living at 13/4 Scott Street.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
William Quinn
William was born on 15th June 1874 in Meenbane I was told that he was killed by a train in Scotland.

John Quinn
John was born on 8th January 1877 in Lettermakenny. I was told that he and worked as a doorman in Motherwell.

Could the stories have gotten confused over time and distance?
These newspaper snippets would be worth looking into further-
Motherwell Times, 17 Nov.1916: ... Wednesday night a _ named John Quinn (37), ... Park Street, was killed while pinching waggons _ Dalzell Steel The waggons were being shunted time, and Quinn _ was badly injured died almost immediately. Deceased was married, and was a prominent ...

Hamilton Advertiser, 25 Nov.1916: ... 6. JOHN QUINN. Steelwork Labourer, Railway Cottage, Park Street.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 21:25 BST (UK) »
My granduncle was quite young when he was told things and then he was away 1914-1918.
That story would fit and if the father of a family was killed then any children might not know their paternal heritage.

Thank You

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 21:39 BST (UK) »

Hugh Quinn
Hugh was born on the 8th September 1882 in Mullinavey. In Census 1901 he was described as an agricultural labourer and still in Ballindrait but by 1911 he had gone.

Hugh at home in 1911? www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002124091/

So, no trace of him after 1911?

See what you mean about no mention of Hugh is some areas  :-\  Looking at this www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LRCW-L2B , see Hugh is not mentioned.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 21:44 BST (UK) »
Could this be Hugh's death on 2 October 1915 in Strathbane? Death reported by William Quinn, father https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05259/4458879.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk