Author Topic: James Dalby bc 1785  (Read 261 times)

Offline carrie-bob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Dalby bc 1785
« on: Wednesday 12 April 23 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hello very clever people in my computer,

I'm stuck xx I'm helping out a friend and have reached a brick wall XX I'm looking to find the christening of a James Dalby born around 1785 in the York area xx I say York area because he dies in 1839 before the first census so I can't be sure where he was born xx

He was married to Sarah Pratt (1790-1877) on 21 December 1807 at St Mary's Castlegate York xx I have found 6 of his children: James 1813-1896, Thomas 1816, Henry 1819, Hannah 1821-1858, Sarah 1823-1908 and John 1825-1904 xx They were all christened at St Mary's Castlegate xx He may have had more children, but I can't find them xx

I am really hoping to find his chistening so I can find his parents xx

I really hope someone out there can help xx thank you all in advance xx Carrie xx
Marshall, Bullough, Ellis, Armistead, Gilston, Ramsden, Foster, Galtress, Walton, Stainsby
Yorkshire area

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Dalby bc 1785
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 23 23:52 BST (UK) »
I can see from an image of the parish register, that James was a mariner. He was 'of this parish' at the time of the marriage. Both he and Sarah signed their names.

Interestingly, this marriage is witnessed by 6 people - far more than the usual 2! From what I can tell, the names are: Ann Smith, James Dally, William Mawes/Maves (?), John Greenwood, John Laken, then some scribbles in the middle, Jon Dalby.

I can't find a death registration for an adult James Dalby in 1839? The only one I can see was a child:

DALBY, JAMES       1 
GRO Reference: 1839  S Quarter in YORK IN THE CITY AND COUNTY OF YORK  Volume 23  Page 431

Where did you get his estimated birth year?

Based on the names of his children, I was interested in Thomas Dalby and Hannah Herriman, who married 14th February 1785 in St Mary's Castlegate. Unfortunately, I cannot currently find any baptisms to this couple in the area.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 23 06:02 BST (UK) »
Does it have an occupation for James on any of the children's baptisms? Is he still a mariner?

I can see a couple of mentions of a James DALBY of Dringhouses (some 2 miles from Castlegate), whose estate is being wound up in 1833, he died 10 March 1933 aged 57. (So born c1776). He was a brick and tile maker.

Modified to strike through :
Probably not, just looked up son John's baptism and James was still a mariner in 1825, family of Middle Water Lane.

Offline carrie-bob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 23 08:52 BST (UK) »
I didn't know he was a mariner, thank you for that xx

I have found a death notice in The Yorkshire Gazette, Saturday 30 December 1826 for a Captain James Dalby of the sloop Wharfinger xx he died in Hull, but was from York and was in his 39th year xx this would put his date of birth around 1787 xx

Could this be the James Dalby mariner I'm looking for??????
Further investigation needed I think xx
Marshall, Bullough, Ellis, Armistead, Gilston, Ramsden, Foster, Galtress, Walton, Stainsby
Yorkshire area

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Bossall for a James Dalby. It took place 28 May 1787, parents Robert and Ann. Bossall is about 8 miles NE of York.

Robert Dalby married Ann King in Bossall 24 November 1781. One of the witnesses at the wedding was Robert's brother James Dalby.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more