Author Topic: How would someone have applied for an Irish (or UK) Pension in 1927?  (Read 716 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How would someone have applied for an Irish (or UK) Pension in 1927?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 April 23 12:28 BST (UK) »
A 20 year residency was required to qualify. How would the brothers have handled Qu 9? 

"9. Have you lived in the United Kingdom for the whole of the last twenty years?
        At what place, or places, did you live during these years?"

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 April 23 12:38 BST (UK) »
A 20 year residency was required to qualify. How would the brothers have handled Qu 9? 

"9. Have you lived in the United Kingdom for the whole of the last twenty years?
        At what place, or places, did you live during these years?"

Do you have a source for the questions you quote?  I have a copy of an early pension request somewhere but I don’t remember it having many questions. This was Somerset not Ireland though, I imagine Northern Ireland in 1927 was similar.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 April 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
Pre the act coming into force a photograph of the form appeared in a 1908 paper. I was assuming it was still there in '27 version.
I've been trying to find a copy of the 1908 Act to check exact wording of the 20 year qualification + any subsequent secondary legislation. Again assumed any pre 1922 legislation continued to apply. 

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 April 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 April 23 13:09 BST (UK) »
You're welcome

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 April 23 13:40 BST (UK) »
The 1908 Act read -
Section 2, sub section (2)
The person must satisfy the pension authorities that for at least twenty years up to the date of receipt of any such sum on account of a pension he has been a British subject, and has had his residence, as defined by regulations under this Act, in the United Kingdom.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 April 23 08:16 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, here is an extract from a letter to the Northern Whig (Belfast) of 16 February 1927, from someone trying to help folk claim their old age pension entitlement.

"Every other septuagenarian whose income does not exceed the income specified is entitled to the old-age pension appropriate to that income.  Any person wishing to claim an old-age pension can obtain a 'claim' in any post office. If the claimant is unable to complete the form any educated person in the place with any spark of piety or humanity will do the needful without fee or reward.  It is necessary to produce evidence of age.  When a baptismal certificate is procurable this is the best possible.  When such is unobtainable two persons a trifle older than the applicant who know the applicant from his or her earliest year should be asked to swear affidavits.  It must be sworn before a justice of the peace.  An entry in an old Bible or any old book is also excellent evidence."

I have a related story passed down in my family lore about a claim to old age pension in the 1960s by my Great Uncle, whose civil birth registration was not accepted as evidence of age (long story) by the Pension Office and in the event, he had to take two people with him in person to support him at the Registrar's Office and the Pension Office, one was a very elderly and locally well-known 'pillar of the community' type of person who knew my Great Uncles' father and family, the other was just a long time friend who was able to say that he and my Great Uncle went through school together from a young age (the friend had already successfully claimed his old age pension).

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 April 23 02:47 BST (UK) »
Oops, duplicate post .... deleted
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 April 23 02:54 BST (UK) »
Perhaps somewhat tangential to the original specific query, but this may be of some general interest:

When the Old Age Pension was first introduced, from 1-1-1909, a system of local assistance committees was established in many parishes in Co. Wexford. How universal this system was I don't know, or how long it lasted, but there were structured attempts to help those, probably many, who were unused or unable to dealing with official application processes.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area