Author Topic: Good books on DNA Inheritance?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Good books on DNA Inheritance?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 April 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
Phil - For those who haven't got the books,the articles are all on line  on the link I gave. 

https://isogg.org/ 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 April 23 11:00 BST (UK) »
I ordered the Bettinger book whilst I was in Holland, and it was waiting for me when I got home. First impression, although it is still early days, but I am finding it somewhat lightweight compared to the book edited by Graham Holton. Yes, there are a lot of pretty coloured diagrams, but when it comes down to the technical aspects of why things are as they are, the explanations are less technical and seem to gloss over the specific details.

Maybe things will improve in later chapters, although having skimmed forward to read through some of the autosomal, Y-DNA and ethnicity topics, I'm not convinced. The Holton book seems a much better serious reference manual to me. I also prefer the way that it suggests further resources on specific topics within context throughout the book, whereas it seems that the Bettinger book just has a few pages listing additional resources at the back of the book.

As I say, first impressions which may change as I continue through it. But so far I much prefer the Holton book.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline dtlroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 May 23 16:35 BST (UK) »
I took the plunge and got the Blaine Bettinger book as well as the Graham Holton book.
I have read most of the Blaine Bettinger book, and have found it quite useful in clarifying aspects which I 'mostly understood'. The explanation of why it is very common not to have inherited any DNA from ancestors more than about 3 generations back is a particularly good one.

Have yet to start the Graham Holton book but very satisfied so far, so thanks again for the recommendations and feedback.

Dave
Leek - Salford/Radcliffe/Shropshire
Gaut - Shropshire
Harrison - Burntwood Staffordshire
Dutton - Tarporley, Cheshire
Hayes - Forton/Preston
Corbett - Coleshill
Wareing - Forton, Woodplumpton Lancashire
Bonser - Leicestershire
Hughes - Amlwch, Rhosybol, Parys Mountain, Cauldon Lowe
Williams - Amlwch
Thomas - Llaneilian, Llanwenllwyfo
Dodd - Shropshire

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 May 23 19:37 BST (UK) »
I have the Bettinger and the Holton books.

However, I find ‘Your DNA Guide, the book: Step by Step plans to connect you with your family using DNA’ by Diahan Southard easier to follow.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.