Author Topic: Good books on DNA Inheritance?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Good books on DNA Inheritance?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 April 23 17:27 BST (UK) »
No sorry, never heard of this book before. Will give it a look on Kindle. Thanks!!

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 April 23 22:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if I may chip in on this topic. I see that Blaine Bettinger's book was last updated in 2019. While I know that the basics of DNA as applied to genetic genealogy have not changed since then, it is a fast-moving subject and how it is tested and announced by companies like Ancestry and MyHeritage certainly has changed a lot in those 4 years. So to those of you who have it and refer to it constantly, may I ask whether you would still buy it today?

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 08:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder if I may chip in on this topic. I see that Blaine Bettinger's book was last updated in 2019. While I know that the basics of DNA as applied to genetic genealogy have not changed since then, it is a fast-moving subject and how it is tested and announced by companies like Ancestry and MyHeritage certainly has changed a lot in those 4 years. So to those of you who have it and refer to it constantly, may I ask whether you would still buy it today?

I would definitely buy a third updated edition if and when it comes on the market.  Bettinger's 2nd edition was updated from the original 2016 edition, with new content such as; Y700(FT-DNA), DNA Painter and the ethical use of DNA information by government and third parties. The colour diagrams are excellent and the chapters are well set out. It cost $29.99 but the quality shows. The Holton textbook is £14.99 (Pen & Sword Family History) but only has monochrome diagrams.

Additionally Blaine Bettinger writes the excellent blog "The Genetic Genealogist - Adding DNA to the Genealogist's Toolkit" so one can access up to date content such as "The Growing Phenomenon of Unlinked Family Cluster March 2023" etc.

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Your answer suggests that you probably wouldn't buy the current version today. I'm not sure that there is a second update in the pipeline. I am aware of Blaine Bettinger's role other than as author, but thanks.

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Your answer suggests that you probably wouldn't buy the current version today. I'm not sure that there is a second update in the pipeline. I am aware of Blaine Bettinger's role other than as author, but thanks.

I have the second edition and use it regularly. I clearly misunderstood your question! To clarify,  I have the second edition but would buy the third edition if it came out.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks. You must like it a lot if you would buy a third edition as well as the edition you already have. Good to hear that you still use the second edition. I may well venture the £20 odd that Amazon wants.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 April 23 00:10 BST (UK) »
Not a book but should be consulted on various topics - the website of the International Society of Genetic Genealogy:

https://isogg.org/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dtlroots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 April 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the steer Gadget. I will bookmark it.
Leek - Salford/Radcliffe/Shropshire
Gaut - Shropshire
Harrison - Burntwood Staffordshire
Dutton - Tarporley, Cheshire
Hayes - Forton/Preston
Corbett - Coleshill
Wareing - Forton, Woodplumpton Lancashire
Bonser - Leicestershire
Hughes - Amlwch, Rhosybol, Parys Mountain, Cauldon Lowe
Williams - Amlwch
Thomas - Llaneilian, Llanwenllwyfo
Dodd - Shropshire

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 April 23 16:05 BST (UK) »
ISOGG resources amongst many others are referenced in the Holton book. Probably in Blaine Bettinger's book also, although I haven't read it. Perhaps I ought to, as we are related and share a DNA match!
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire