Author Topic: looking for family of Jane Turriff born 1843? I think Crimond, Aberdeen  (Read 764 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for family of Jane Turriff born 1843? I think Crimond, Aberdeen
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 April 23 20:36 BST (UK) »
The full transcript  (probably with some abbreviation) I have of the first one is:

Erected by John and George Turriff in memory of their father James Turriff d. 4 May 1903 aged 70; their mother Catherine Yule d. 17 June 1903 aged 67.

Possibly this family?

The East Aberdeenshire Observer of 26-7-1878 reports on a case at Peterhead Sheriff Court. Crimond School Board prosecuted James Turriff, Logie Moss, Crimond, for keeping his son, George, off school for two months. The defence was that he had to keep George off so he (George) could earn enough during the fishing season to buy clothes to attend school in winter. The sheriff accepted this, provided the boy did attend school in winter.

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for family of Jane Turriff born 1843? I think Crimond, Aberdeen
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 April 23 08:29 BST (UK) »

Possibly this family?

The East Aberdeenshire Observer of 26-7-1878 reports on a case at Peterhead Sheriff Court. Crimond School Board prosecuted James Turriff, Logie Moss, Crimond, for keeping his son, George, off school for two months. The defence was that he had to keep George off so he (George) could earn enough during the fishing season to buy clothes to attend school in winter. The sheriff accepted this, provided the boy did attend school in winter.

This is the same family indeed GR2 ! James’ address on death Cert is Logie Moss, Crimond. Wonderful little in-site into their life.

Thank you very much for this
Kim