Author Topic: SMITH of Middleton Stoney  (Read 179 times)

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SMITH of Middleton Stoney
« on: Saturday 15 April 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
Seeking descendants of Robert & Hannah Smith of Middleton Stoney who have taken a DNA test.

Robert and Hannah are purportedly my 3g grandparents. They had 14 children in Middleton Stoney between 1795 and 1818, among them Sarah in 1815, who on paper looks like my gg grandmother.

Sarah married Thomas Hitchcox in 1834, and they settled in the hamlet of Caulcott in Lower Heyford parish. There are no signs of any children until 1849, when they had a son called George. Further children (William Henry, 1852, and Jane, 1855) followed. All births registered in Bicester and baptised in Lower Heyford. And all died before age 3.

Then they had my ggrandmother Esther. Her birth was not registered, but she was baptised in Lower Heyford.

My problem is that after several years, I still have not one DNA match to the Smith family. Not even a small one.

Thomas Hitchcox was also born in Middleton Stoney, in 1812. I only have a three very small matches to his parents, far lower DNA than might be expected (7 - 9 cM for a gg grandparent)

I am seriously wondering whether Esther might have been adopted, possibly from a distant relative of Thomas's.

Proving Sarah and Esther were NOT related is more difficult than proving they might be. Hence the request (long shot) for people who have tested, who, if I'm right, will NOT match me at all!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake