Author Topic: Researcher Recommendations / costs  (Read 477 times)

Offline BeckyG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researcher Recommendations / costs
« on: Sunday 16 April 23 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

I am really struggling with my brick wall and literally have used all online resources that are available . I am travelling back to Scotland in October so could research local (Applecross/ Shieldaig ) records then but am also considering hiring a researcher .

I am looking for the death record for my GG Grandmother , Isabella Mackenzie, and have already checked all records from Scotlandpeople for the dates required (1868-1871) and her possible age range. This in itself has been expensive as over time I have researched a wider area to cover the whole of Scotland but all to no avail.

The last records that I have for Isabella are when  she was struck off the Applecross Poor Law register in August 1869 , by 1871 she was listed as 'deceased ' on her daughter's wedding entry . I have also been unable to locate Isabella's son William , I have a possibly found another of her sons in Peel., Ontario though so I'm wondering if William and Isabella could maybe have emigrated .

Has anybody had experience of using researchers , and do you possibly have any idea of costs involved  ? I just feel like I could go on for years looking and maybe a professional would do a better job than me  :)

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Researcher Recommendations / costs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what a researcher could come up with that you haven't been able to. They will use the same databases that you have. Why not put your question on here and see what others can find at no cost.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 23 15:04 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what a researcher could come up with that you haven't been able to. They will use the same databases that you have. Why not put your question on here and see what others can find at no cost.

See this other post  :)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=865500.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 23 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again Becky

I'm not sure if you've consulted this but they  might have some extra local info.

https://www.highlifehighland.com/archives-service/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 23 17:10 BST (UK) »
I agree with antiquesam. Why not try posting all the information you have on the family on here first before going to the expense of hiring a researcher who may turn up nothing at all .

Also, Gadget's recommendation could be worth a try.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline BeckyJane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks All , I have posted before with the post that Rosie99 has shared and Gadget was really helpful there . The only reason I was considering a researcher is that a family member did find her great grandfathers family through resources that are not online with the help of a researcher .
Thanks for the link Gadget , I’ll have a look .🙂

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 23 17:52 BST (UK) »
I know that the Ullapool Museum used to help with research but that is further north and I don't have any up to date info about it, so the link that I gave would be the best way forward.

Also, see Rosie's link #2 to the earlier thread when we discussed Becky's family.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 April 23 21:02 BST (UK) »
Is Mackenzie her maiden name or her married name?

When you say she was "struck off" the Applecross Poor Law Register, what did it actually say?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 April 23 21:13 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.