Author Topic: 8th Royal Tank Regiment POW query  (Read 443 times)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Royal Tank Regiment POW query
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 April 23 20:23 BST (UK) »
Casualties*
Nationality    POW
British            19,000
South African    10,720
Indian            2,500
Total            32,200

It was the second largest capitulation by the British Army in the war after the fall of Singapore and the biggest defeat in the history of the Union Defence Force. German propaganda initially reported that the Wehrmacht had captured 25,000 Allied prisoners of war, which turned out to be an underestimate as the true total was 33,000. The Germans left the task of housing the prisoners to the Italians, who lacked the infrastructure to treat the prisoners in accordance with the Geneva Convention. The prisoners were crammed into open pens to await deportation and were left seriously short of food and water. Conditions improved after the prisoners had been transported in cargo ships to Italy. Many of them, especially South Africans, were subject to recriminations from other prisoners who felt that Tobruk had surrendered too easily. At the Italian armistice in September 1943, many prisoners escaped, including Klopper, who was rescued by Popski's Private Army (Major Vladimir Peniakoff) which was operating nearby.The number of Eighth Army prisoners taken in the battle is not known precisely because the Eighth Army records were lost.
* Casualties being used here in the military sense of soldiers no longer operationally effective, not meaning that they would necessarily have been injured

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 16:21 BST (UK) »
While researching something completely different I came across this book, which might throw some light on your uncle's experience behind the wire. Obviously we don't know if he was in this particular camp, but I imagine some general details of camp life will have been the same wherever in Italy he was held.
https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/An-Extraordinary-Italian-Imprisonment-Hardback/p/7848

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 April 23 09:31 BST (UK) »
Can't thank you enough Andy, thank goodness for experts like you on the Forum!

Thank you for clarifying some of the abbreviations on his Service and Casualty sheet.  It's such a fascinating story and let's face it, he was lucky.

He told his family that the Italians treated him reasonably well in the prison camp.  One day I shall find out where he was.  I shall take a look at the book and also do some reading of accounts of fighting with the partisans.  I'd also like to know what squadron he was in in that battle where he was captured.

He went on to marry, have kids and lead a full life.  Thanks very much again for all your help.