Author Topic: Henry Orrick and Mary Bates - 1752 Whickham/Swalwell  (Read 160 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Henry Orrick and Mary Bates - 1752 Whickham/Swalwell
« on: Sunday 16 April 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
Henry Bates of Swalwell was baptised on 12 Apr 1752 in St Mary's church, Whickham, as the illegitimate son of Henry Orrick by Mary Bates.

I am struggling to find anything more about either of the parents.

The best birth I can find for Mary is one in 1721 (Park Gate), although this would make her 31 when her son was born.
No ideas about Henry Orrick.

Is anyone able to find anything more?

Many thanks, in advance.
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Orrick and Mary Bates - 1752 Whickham/Swalwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 23 16:29 BST (UK) »
Probably you have this:

28 Nov 1748 Henry Orrick (of St.Nicholas, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, age 26, mariner) obtained a licence to marry Elizabeth Parker (of All Saints, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, age 21), directed to All Saints
Surety: Archibald Tillock, waterman, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
[Note: married 29 Nov at All Saints.]
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Orrick and Mary Bates - 1752 Whickham/Swalwell
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 23 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I did not have this!  Fills in a gap and gives me another line to pursue.

Mary Bates is a difficult one...however, if Henry was born around 1722, then maybe the one I have is a possibility...
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)