Author Topic: photographer G. Bott  (Read 535 times)

Offline AWE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
photographer G. Bott
« on: Monday 17 April 23 16:14 BST (UK) »
 Have a professional photo carrying the name and address
 G. Bott Victoria Avenue Borrowash - going by the people and fashion on the photo it was probably taken approx. 1900 to 1905
is there any information re this photographer available?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: photographer G. Bott
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hello AWE and welcome to RootsChat.

I seem to be having trouble finding any reference to G. BOTT, photographer. Certainly doesn't appear on the 1901 or 1911 census on Victoria Rd, Borrowash. However, there is a note on the enumerator's route for the 1901: "Parish of Ockbrook called Borrowash lying on both sides of the Derby & Nottingham Turnpike Road and on the East side of the road leading from the Turnpike of Ockbrook, now called "Victoria Avenue" ... " So presumably your dating of the photograph is reasonably accurate if the street name changed between 1891 and 1901.

There is a photographer in Borrowash in 1891 - William GLEW (38) at "Yew Cottage" on Nottingham Rd. Next door is Samuel BOTT (67, gardener), his wife Ann (63) and son William (17, bricklayers labourer).
RG12/2726/47 pg 37

Will keep looking  :D

Offline AWE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 14:19 BST (UK) »
Maddy thanks - tried to copy the photo to this but have to find out how to do it no luck with my efforts - ironic the photo concerns Samuel Bott (1855 Belper)  his wife Mary Ann (1859) and his daughter Dorothy (1892) They must have been down visiting as they then resided in Worcestershire.
 AWE
Just noticed Attachments- so who knows it is there

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 02:28 BST (UK) »
The photo is there, though it's a little small to see clearly. If the girl is Dorothy, I'm guessing she must be around 17 or 18 (since she has her hair "up"), so the photo might be a little later than 1905 - maybe closer to 1910?

Is there anything on the back that might indicate more about the photographic studio?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 09:49 BST (UK) »
I agree with Maddy. Her hair is up, so she is at least 16-18 and clothing suggests late Edwardian - say 1907-10.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 10:03 BST (UK) »
I agree with it being an Edwardian photo but sure about the hair, I thought she may have it tied back as I think I can see a ribbon on the left hand side of her head.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 10:32 BST (UK) »
You might be right Carol, it's a bit hard to tell.  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
Very hard to see at that size. It would be good to get a better scan.  She looks mid teens. If she was born 1892, she would be 13 in 1905. I think she looks older.

Add - is her dress not full length?  Would suggest under age
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
The site linked below (no connection with me) has an extensive list of photographers of Great Britain & Ireland 1840 - 1940. There is a George Bott on the list. There is no other public info, I think the idea is that you contact the site owner and they charge you for more details, the amount charged depending upon what they have.

https://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon