Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April  (Read 2388 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 April 23 16:24 BST (UK) »
Bit harsh on both accounts.
I always try to be sympathetic to mourners without going over the top, just a few kind words is enough,  I remember a colleague I worked with was very upset as a member of staff had completely blanked her,  my mother in law said the same, her friend actually crossed the road to miss her, sometimes people don't know how to handle the bereaved but a person of the cloth should know how to behave on such occasions.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 21 April 23 16:31 BST (UK) »
Not very Christian behaviour from the minister and the vicar mentioned is it? They ought to know better and behave in a more caring manner.

Jackella, hope you manage to get in touch with Jeff.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 April 23 20:38 BST (UK) »
Viktoria I think you rightly say that there is nowt as queer as folk!
I am so sorry to hear how badly you have been let down Jeff.  I agree that you should have received thanks for all your years of service.  And I think to receive a note of such brevity after you lost your beloved son would feel more hurtful than comforting.
I hope this won't put you off going to Church altogether!  It sounds like your Vicar has no people skills, which does seem odd considering the type of work they are in.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 April 23 21:41 BST (UK) »
My Dad died suddenly in December 1993, I went South the next morning to meet up with my brother who travelled North to meet up at Dad’s. We then had to go to the hospital to formally identify Dad as he was basically dead on arrival at the hospital. There had to be a post mortem as well.

When I returned 4 or 5 days later after we had made arrangements for the funeral,it was quite late. I opened the front door and there on the mat was a booklet from the Minister entitled, “ prayers for the dead and dying”. Not a nice thing to return home to. He never visited me. I didn’t like him much!

Our organist/choirmaster regularly gets thanked by the ministers and church members, I think it’s so rude when people forget about all the people behind the scenes in churches who don’t get thanked. Fortunately the people at my church do think about all those people without whom there wouldn’t be a church.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 April 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
That is nice Gibel , it means a lot ,week in week out to be relied on and too often taken for granted.
The Vicar I was rather angry about did not take my husband’s service ,but he knew me from every Sunday attendances .
He would probably know The Curate would visit for arrangements ,hymns and eulogy etc.
But not one word from him .did not make any connection ,and when I said “my husband’s flowers “ he could have said something then.

I dislike cliques , and sadly there was one at that time ,centred round one woman.
Very capable without doubt but very divisive too.
The Vicar ought to have steered clear of that and it would have probably have fizzled out .
But our Church is latterly more open and friendly ,we are glad to be together again .
Quite a lot of new people in the congregation and it has a very positive effect.

I remember  Archbishop Ramsey, he came to Gent and officiated when my son and other young members of the congregation were confirmed.
He said, “ If you search for a Church where there is no no discord or differences, avoid it like the plague ,because it is not real,not natural that a group of people will all think alike ,have the same opinions and  act in the same way.
But pray together and endeavour to work together for the greater good, not your personal satisfaction .”
Wise words .
There had been some upset at that Church, one hard working but dominating woman had put The Vicar’s lovely gentle wife in second place , so much so the Church was mockingly named after her , not it’s Saint’s name!

Well time for bed ,tired after clearing my herb bed and getting it tidy and Henry cat proofed until I get the proper protection made.
Another week gone by ,where do they go to?
Goodnight and a peaceful day tomorrow .
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 April 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Last night I had a dream that I was crying after coming home and finding that someone had smashed all of of my windows.  When I woke up I  googled to see what possible interpretation this might relate about the state of my mind.  I read that this might mean I am feeling 'fragile' and 'stressed'.
Well, I think there might be something in that because my brother was taken into hospital recently (he is 11 years older than me and the only sibling I have left).  Although, I have had message from SiL today to say that the hospital Doctor says treatment is going well and dependent on next blood test he might be able to return home tomorrow.
Also, there is maintenance work going on at my house at the moment, which is a good thing but I will be glad when the scaffolding finally comes down.
Also, I still haven't been able to get an appointment to discuss my blood pressure readings with the Doctor.  I know she thinks I should go on meds but I want to discuss it in case the readings were down to me being anxious about it.  For one thing, it did come down quite a bit on the day I heard the shock news about my bus pass was going up by £18.  On that day I felt more concerned about the increase so I was less focussed about worrying about blood pressure reading although admittedly even on that day it wasn't really in ideal range.
I had emailed receptionist giving several days when I would be able to come and I explained (yet again) that as I only have pay as you go phone my credit gets all used up if I ring as I get put on hold in the music and 'your call is very important to us' queue.  Receptionist emailed back to say if I can't ring I must show up in person on a Monday morning at around  8 am and they will see what they can do.  Getting an appointment at my doctor's surgery can feel like the healing pool at Bethesda  in the Bible.  The first one(s) able to jump in will be the one(s) to be helped.  Finally, I have a back shift tomorrow so I will get up very early tomorrow and go along for 8 am and see if they can help me get an appointment.
I was talking to a friend at Church today and they asked about my blood pressure.  I have told them whole saga.  I said to my friend that I can't understand why it should be up as most of the time I feel very calm.  (I have been than told by more than one person in the past that I have a very serene disposition).  Friend said that is why it is such a silent killer.  (I do hope doctor doesn't use words like 'killer' when I do finally get an appointment; I won't be very keen to hear that type of language. ::))
Friend offered to bring me her old blood pressure machine the next time I can get to Church.  I think I will try to politely decline.  I think I would find it a tad depressing to be taking measurements all the time. 
An elder who was giving the sermon today reminded us about the Government alert today.  SiL also sent message to remind - although I knew already from a RootsChat post. 
I will admit a little bit excitement today waiting for this to sound over my phone and Kindle but I felt a bit disappointed when nothing happened.  I wonder if it's because I only have a pay as you go phone with no internet on it?  I don't think this seems to have been massively publicised.  I have heard some say that this is because the government is worried about Putin but I think the official line is that is for emergencies in general.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 April 23 16:44 BST (UK) »
Wondered what the fuss was about,  my phone 6ft away from my husband wasn't heard by him,  feeble sound even though my volume was up high,  not all phones got it, was it worth it?.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 April 23 17:33 BST (UK) »
RTL, it sounds like things have been piling up on you so I suppose that would account for your weird dream. I hope your brother is well enough to go home tomorrow, that will be one thing off your mind. I did read somewhere that surgeries are going to have to put a stop to the business of ringing at 8am and allow people to book a slot at other times. The GPS are worried about the effects and have doubts that they'll be able to cope with it. This isn't the article I originally read but sums it up:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/end-8am-rush-gp-appointment-29391391

Re the alarm test, as someone on another thread commented, that's what testing is about. For anyone who missed it, you can get your fix here:

BBC News - Watch UK emergency alert go off (again, or if you missed it)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65357871
 ;D

Or even better,  here:

BBC News - Watch the moment sirens start on phones across the UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65368844
 ;D ;D ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 April 23 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Roobarb, I am really hoping my brother will be considered well enough to be able to go home tomorrow.  SiL has reservations about  it being too soon but hopefully he can recuperate better at home. 

Thanks for the link Roobarb, I agree that surely it would be better to be able to book at other times and not just at 8 am and find that might be virtually impossible to get through or to get through but find that appointments have been taken.

Just wondering if anyone has made or will be making the Coronation quiche?  I would like to give it a go at some  point.  Although, as a vegetarian, I would have to adapt recipe slightly as I would definitely not wish to put lard in the pastry.  I have been having trouble getting broad beans at my local supermarkets.
I think I might have to try M&S in Newcastle en route either to or from work.
I have offered to make one for celebrations at work but one person grimaced about the idea of tarragon and another looked at me like I was stark raving mad when I said it would have broad beans in.  By her expression, you would think I had said I was going to put arsenic in it. They said they would much prefer broccoli and spinach instead.  It seems like it might be hard to please everyone and if I do make it, I am not sure if it will be a true Coronation quiche at all, since we are all such fuss pots. ;)