Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April  (Read 2391 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 April 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear about your brother RTL. He's in the best place though getting treatment. I agree about the hassle of doctors appts. My bp goes up if I have to phone at the dreaded 8am! I need an appt for tonsilitis ( again) so I tried to do an  Econsult today .....my practice doesn't support econsult over a weekend apparently , so it's the 8am phone saga for me tomorrow.

Re the phone alert, my husband only has a pay as you go and no internet, but his rang out at bang on 3pm. Mine sounded at exactly the same time. Both were quite loud and we were watching tv.
North East of England

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 April 23 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Candleflame,  I do take heart in this that my brother is in the best place for getting treatment and that it sounds like things seem to be going on the up.  It felt such  shock to hear he had gone in.

Candleflame, I'm so sorry to hear you have tonsilitis.  I do hope you get through at 8 am tomorrow and that you will get speedy and effective treatment and recover soon.  :-* Let us know how you get on. 

Oh so the test does work for pay as you go.  Shame I didn't get it over mine, I was quite looking forward to it.  The silence felt like a bit of a let down.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 April 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
RTL sorry to hear you’re having a few worries at the moment and hope things get sorted soon.

Also hope CF tonsillitis improves.

Went over to Manchester today to visit our son.  Spent a lovely few hours at Styal Mill.  This display in the gift shop caught my eye and just had to take a photograph for Viktoria in view of her recent purchase.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 April 23 20:46 BST (UK) »
Bad dreams are worrying,but I can imagine a normal thing if you are anxious and worried.
I hope your brother continues to improveR.T.L. .

Great service in Church today ,as it was St,George’s day the children came in earlier than usual.
Theme was all about knights, and  doing good things for other people, chivalry and bravery to stand up to bad things.
After the children were invited to gallop off round Church, it was funny as one or two did what little boys in days of yore did, ie gallop round slapping their bums, chasing baddies or Indians round the badlands of Manchester’s working class areas, after the kids’ Saturday Matinees.

Today was the Annual P,CC meeting ,the Curate had to be voted for,so we asked did he want to stay, then he left the Church and waited and it was a 100% we wanted him to stay .
I offered to go round Church with shovel brush and bucket after the “ horses” - but only if I could have the “ detritus “ for my roses.
On May  7th,a Jacob’s feast , to celebrate The Coronation .

So many empty pews , old friends who have died since lockdown , but some new people too, so very encouraging.
Hope the next week is a good one but it will be cold according to the Weather Forecast.
Many thanks for the photograph of clogs ,how kind to remember.
Cheerio, look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 April 23 20:55 BST (UK) »
We had our APCC today, the money is the most worrying  ,  people have died during  Covid, but hopefully we can keep making ends meet, we have to pay a staggering amount to our  local diocese, calculated by the amount of people who live in the village, not the amount who come to church,  our electoral roll has 50% or people who live outside of the parish.

Sorry to hear of those who are unwell, hope they will be perking up soon, some decent weather would be nice, this evening we had thunder and lightning plus terrific downfalls.

LM

Forgot to add, my church didn't celebrate St George's day as it was a Sunday, never heard of that before

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 23 April 23 21:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear about your brother RTL. I hope he’ll soon be home again.

My brother was taken into hospital this morning with heart problems. He has on going  heart problems but this time ended up in hospital. It was his wife’s birthday today too!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 April 23 07:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear about the poorly people, I hope you all have better news soon.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 April 23 08:08 BST (UK) »
I’m just popping in briefly to reply to RTL’s question:

Just wondering if anyone has made or will be making the Coronation quiche?  I would like to give it a go at some  point.  Although, as a vegetarian, I would have to adapt recipe slightly as I would definitely not wish to put lard in the pastry. 

Yes, I am going to make it, and with lard, and serving it as suggested with a green salad, potatoes (sadly there is no such thing as “new” potatoes here, so normal potatoes it will have to be). We will have plenty of flags and bunting for atmosphere and to get into the spirit of the occasion.  ;)

There are some alternatives here - and one for vegetarians RTL:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/coronation-quiche

Though I agree that changing it too much will make it not a true coronation quiche.

I did want to make Dillegrout which was a sort of stew presented to King Charles II at his coronation in 1661 by my ninth great grandfather Sir Thomas Leigh who held the Manor of Addington. Though The Manor is long gone, sadly, I thought it would be a fun thing to do. Family didn’t like the sound of it (spoilsports) so I decided not to go to the effort for something which might not be appreciated, though it is said to taste better than expected. So quiche it is.  :)

I hope everyone who is unwell, or who has family who are unwell, improve very soon.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 April 23 11:22 BST (UK) »
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother Gibel.  This must feel quite stressful for you too, having this worry about him.  I do hope things improve for him soon.

Thanks for all supportive messages.
I have just heard from SiL who says my brother will not be coming out today after all but there might be a possibility that he might be discharged tomorrow night dependent on more results.  But he is up and walking about now and is pain free.  I will go see at home later this week or at the hospital if needs be.  SiL had booked a slot for me to go along with her.  Fancy having to book a slot!  Much easier in the days you could just walk in and visit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillegrout

That sounds like quite an illustrious ancestor you have there Ruskie!  I had to google the dillegrout as I hadn't heard of it.  Because of the history attached to it I would have been interested in trying it if not for the capon (castrated rooster).  The almond milk, sugar and spices sounds nice.  I can understand that you would feel 'spoilsports' about people having reservations about your adventurous cooking proposal.  I feel a bit the same way that people are at odds already about the tarragon and the broad beans.  Even if they won't let me do a trueish Coronation quiche for work (minus the lard) I think I will make one anyway at home.  I would still like to try it and share with family who might not object to the main ingredients.  Although I think there might be fuss pots on this front too.
As a child my Mother would bake with lard all the time.  I would eat her pastry because I didn't know what lard was and they didn't enlighten me. 😝

I am sorry that you all have this worry about having to pay this money to the diocese, LM.
It sounds a bit much that this is based on the whole village rather than just on those who attend Church.  I do recall a quote somewhere - can't remember exactly who said it but it was along the lines of that Church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of people who are not its members.  But still .. having to find the money especially in this economic climate must be a worry.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner