Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April  (Read 2390 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 April 23 11:43 BST (UK) »
I have just returned from a fabulous long weekend in the Lake District, courtesy of my daughter, who has  been promising to drive me up there for some time - Covid got in the way.  My brother's family live up there, but I have not been to visit for quite some time, as we live right down at the other end of the country.

The weather was amazing.  We had expected chilly winds and rain, but what we got was warm sunshine and clear blue skies, though the fell tops were still sprinkled with snow.  A day at Derwentwater and a visit to the Aira Force were very special and my young grandchildren, who accompanied us on our 6 hour journey, enjoyed their encounters with my niece's animals - horses, dogs , chickens and Guinea pigs. Lowther Park, which I last visited around 40 years ago, has changed beyond recognition but is well worth a visit. 

One of my niece's dogs is a Black Russian Terrier ( If you are interested in dogs, do look the breed up.   It has an interesting history.) and he is as big as a small pony!  He makes a great guard dog, but luckily he is also very good with children.  The other dog, a Bearded Collie, is half his size, but makes up for this by his loud barking!

To breathe in the pure air and to see the incredible fells and lakes made this a truly memorable trip.  It is many years since we lived in the area and my daughter was keen to revisit childhood memories. Our husbands stayed at home and got on with their various activities without us.  They seem to have survived, but were rather pleased to have us back.  I dare say they were wanting a decent meal again.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 April 23 13:55 BST (UK) »
R J' rant,
I fully understand  your rant, at one  PCC  AGM  I offered thanks for all those who work behind  the scenes in church and grounds, I was told thanks had already been recorded by the PCC,  I told them I was not a member of the  PCC    but a member of the congregation ,  it was recorded  from then on,   I have always said many things are done by various people and thanks is never passed to them, quite often no one knows who they are.
A little thanks goes a long way,  I have noticed since that a general thanks goes out to  all these people who work behind the scenes
Which brings me to Christmas gifts , the youngsters, every year I have a quiet moan that I have not received a thank you for their Christmas presents, a friend of mine  actually gave up sending Christmas gifts to those who didn't say thank you, one child missed out on a generous 18th birthday gift, when they are young it is up to the parents to encourage a thank you.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 April 23 14:08 BST (UK) »
Oh how lovely, The Lake District , used to go with the Schoolchildren every May, Youth Hosteling in Eskdale mostly.
Up to Hard Knot Roman Fort the first day, then Muncaster Castle, up Cat Bells the next day and then sinister Wasdale.
It was so enjoyable.
My Welsh daughter in law was really amazed when she visited, used to beautiful Wales she had not realised there was such stunning scenery in The North West.

Glad you enjoyed the break.Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 April 23 14:25 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, yes I am here,  no  conspiracy  going on between Viktoria and myself but it made me chuckle

Not a lot going  on here really did manage a trip out, left home and it was quite warm so we decided to go to the coast, by bus, by the time we were on our way it turned cold so we stopped off halfway and had lunch in a small town, was quite  enjoyable and we were so pleased we didn't go to the coast,  every morning  starts the same, sun out an warm and within a short space of time it has turned cold and very windy, but it is still only April.

Pleased Gillg you had a good break away, very nice part of the country.

Viktoria, hope your son decides to at least look at the house next door,  no good being sorry after, you are looking after him very well.

Take care everyone

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 April 23 06:11 BST (UK) »
Like the sound of your refreshing weekend break Gillg, a nice boost that would be.

Week started with a surprise visit from husband's brother and sister in law having driven up from Wellington, their style to do own thing unannounced, a while since we've seen them so very nice few hours together. He was to be our best man 50 years back, unfortunately had a serious skydiving accident just before and the next brother stepped in. So very lucky he was to survive and also to walk again and then met his wife to be soon after, went travelling on 'OE' together mid 70's and  impromptu wedding in London while her parents were visiting from NZ. Back home and without family have always made the most of life and work balance, enjoy taking opportunities to get up and go places as much as possible, postcard from Paris etc etc :-)

Husband had to pick up a new script so while arranging that booked us in for our flu and covid booster jabs together on Tuesday afternoon, both had the two in left arm with booster above the flu and all good with that and barely aware of having had them.

Long chats with my sisters midweek and birthday messages from friends and family, a couple of cafe lunches and outings, all very nice. 2 family cards came in mail again today with post often being slow these days, daughter in north was relieved hers turned up with those as had included a voucher along with creative cards from the granddaughters. Will be out and about with younger daughter Saturday while our menfolk are trading at a swapmeet and an away hobby day for me Sunday and another weekend will quickly disappear!

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 April 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
That is all nice news Mare.
Bright and sunny here but a sharp cold breeze.
Did a good pond clear out yesterday,herb patch today , must make tighter security as Henry Cat is sure to use it as his” personal facility “ if he can get in the frame!

A quick tea tonight ,Quorn veggie sausages,peas, fried onions ,mashed potatoes and onion gravy.
Son is very easy to please ,has a light appetite so is slender for his almost 6’ height,he might be 6’ but perhaps only 5’11”,which from a 5’7”” dad and 5’2 “
mum isn’t bad but maternal and paternal grandfathers were tall.

I do miss my neighbour , but now,the worry is I might trigger her poor memory ,she is settled in a Care Home, I will visit when her daughter thinks she is ready, the strange thing is not once has she asked about her home , I don’t want to stir her memory so she then thinks about her own home and perhaps frets.
I could say I was the new Queen, I bear a striking resemblance to a Queen —,well Queen Victoria on a bad day!
No not true , , more like Anne Boleyn or Catherine Howard ,after the executions as these days I do run around  after “ long legs “ like a headless chicken!

Oh shurrup Viktoria, ,you are not in Ukraine, Yemen or Afghanistan!
But sunny Ramsbottom, and glad to be there too.

Son will surely get a cat, then I can fall out with him if it gets in my herb patch !
He can do his own washing then .Well he did for six years during two degrees
and did not starve ,came home in holidays clean and respectably dressed.

Well ,herb patch calls.
I have an ingenious plan for a sort of cage , so I can get in and do what needs doing and easily access my herbs.
Presently it is that green plastic sort of chicken wire on canes .
I get caught up in it ,so a better frame and the sturdier green plastic fencing with about one inch squares.
Our local hardware shop sells everything and will cut to size .
A bit dearer than B & Q but you actually speak to a human being who knows what you mean!
Well must get on,  get weaving ,wire in , etc all terms for starting to work.

Cheerio.
Viktoria .

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 April 23 14:31 BST (UK) »
Ref my previous Rant.

This is the note we received from our Minister (the same one who does not say thank you), as her reply to our note to her when our son Nick died. We heard nothing further from her and she did not take his funeral service!
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline jackella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 April 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
Was just browsing the site when I noticed the name Habersham mentioned with a connection to Beverley, East Yorkshire, posted by radstockjeff.  A quick phone call to a friend confirmed this was the same family she has a distant connection with. There is still a Dyer Lane in Beverley with connections to the Habershams.

Will try to PM radstockjeff.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 April 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
Whew! No excuse for such brevity ,that borders on the flippant !

How hurtful, it does happen I know.
Taking the card from my husband’s long arrangement of white roses which covered his coffin ,which on the advice at the Crematorium that it would have to be disposed of very quickly ,so little room, we took it back to Church as it was Remembrance Sunday the next but one day ,to place in front of the altar as there would be poppies on the altar.
After the Remembrance service I went to get the card from the family which was on the long arrangement ,the Vicar accosted me and asked what was I doing? I said I was getting the card from my husband’s wreath to keep .
Not one comforting word ,nothing.
I actually felt he had no idea that I was the wife of the person whose funeral it had been two days before!
Not one sympathetic word or enquiry if I was alright!
Someone asked might they have a rose to remember a lovely gentleman ?
It seemed a good thing to do ,they all were taken, one by one.
I of course kept one .
Still nothing from the Vicar, but that was just him , not our Church as a
whole .
I reckon he must have felt a bit embarrassed when so many people took roses.

Nowt so queer as folk Jeff, but it is your Curate’s calling to be in a caring supportive profession and they failed miserably didn’t they!

You were most gracious with your thanks to RootsChatters  who really felt for you .
That is just one minister, my experience just another but by contrast the Curate was so kind and supportive , and I feel there are sure many more of each kind of experience .

Keep your chin up, you added to so many services by playing for so long .
Thanks for feeling we are kind enough to sympathise and empathise .
That is a generous compliment .
Viktoria.