Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April
« on: Monday 17 April 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
Happy new week folks! Just putting the diary thread here for everyone's use.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 23rd April
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 23 20:15 BST (UK) »
Evening all
We’ve had a busy day as the grandchildren’s school was still shut today for teacher training , so we had the three of them. Husband is asleep in the chair and I’m watching tv with police chasing drivers who don’t want to be stopped!
North East of England

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 23 21:04 BST (UK) »
Apropos nothing in particular and having a few moments to spare I did a bit of file tidying this morning- well it actually lasted much longer as I became engrossed in a small detail of family history which I had not noticed before. It would seem (subject to a little more detailed investigation) that my family line in North Dorset (Stalbridge) has a link with my wife's line going back to C1700 in Beverley North Yorkshire. (Smith, Bornick and Habersham)
The link is via the Habersham family.
Daniel Habersham had a son Joseph who appears to have moved south to Tarrant Gunville near Blandford. Joseph's son James married into my Greenstock line in 1822.(Harriet Mead nee Greenstock, whose first husband George had died not long after their marriage.)
I found an interesting document from the East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Local Studies Service which mentions, amongst much else, a Daniel Habersham, a Dyer of Beverley and his eldest son and heir, Joseph Habersham of Gunvill near Blandford County of Dorset, Yeoman.
Still some work to be done on this but it looks like a positive.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 23 21:20 BST (UK) »
Apropos nothing in particular and having a few moments to spare I did a bit of file tidying this morning- well it actually lasted much longer as I became engrossed in a small detail of family history which I had not noticed before. It would seem (subject to a little more detailed investigation) that my family line in North Dorset (Stalbridge) has a link with my wife's line going back to C1700 in Beverley North Yorkshire. (Smith, Bornick and Habersham)
The link is via the Habersham family.
Daniel Habersham had a son Joseph who appears to have moved south to Tarrant Gunville near Blandford. Joseph's son James married into my Greenstock line in 1822.(Harriet Mead nee Greenstock, whose first husband George had died not long after their marriage.)
I found an interesting document from the East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Local Studies Service which mentions, amongst much else, a Daniel Habersham, a Dyer of Beverley and his eldest son and heir, Joseph Habersham of Gunvill near Blandford County of Dorset, Yeoman.
Still some work to be done on this but it looks like a positive.

Very interesting!  Keep us posted.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
It's quiet on the diary thread, I wonder where Louisa Maud and Viktoria are. Perhaps it's a conspiracy to see if we miss them.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 12:59 BST (UK) »
Today's rant.
It never ceases to amaze me how it seems so difficult for some folk to say a word of thanks- nothing effusive, just an acknowledgement of something given or a thoughtful gesture perhaps.

Recently, well over the past three years, we have been going through a rationalisation process, as have numerous other church congregations no doubt.

Christian religion has become increasingly less attractive to many people and as a result Churches are closing and congregations merging with others in the locality.

So where in this business does "thank you" come in. Well, in the case of our Church, we have amalgamated with three others in the area , under new management. In the process there have been some redundancies; in my case with my fellow organist we have gone from sharing the bench on alternative Sundays to perhaps one or two services "somewhere else" each quarter.

My colleague has been organist at our former church for over 40 years and I have done just over thirty years, sharing with him.

So where does the thank you come in?. Well, up to now (over 6 months since the closure) not a word from the hierarchy.

We go to Church to Worship and give thanks for all sorts of things and the music plays an important part in those acts of thanksgiving in the hymns, worship songs and incidental music provided before and after the service.

It wiould have seemed appropriate therefore that some form of recognition- just a simple note of thanks from the "collar", to say thank you for your musical input, would not have gone amiss.

I would be the first to admit that my playing skills are basic and not to a "recital" standard, but sufficiently competent to carry the congregations over many years through their worship.

Rant over.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 18:12 BST (UK) »
I see exactly where you are coming from Jeff, as I have mentioned,our previous Organist did 64 years ,being taken home during the service the last time he was able to play,indeed he died at home  only days later.
Aged 81, so 17 when he started.
This year at our Christmas Service to remember family etc no longer with us, I took my baubles and put  them in the baskets ,alphabetically , and added them to the list of names to be read out.I noticed no one had remembered the Organist of 64 years.
Granted he had died a few years before and now his widow has gone and only daughter in York .
His Widow was very long suffering , choir practice, weddings ,Christenings and funerals plus services took a lot of his time.
So a bauble for them both and I placed it on the tree when their names were read out .
I made it pretty clear I felt it very sad he had not been thought of .
Who knows why his daughter was not present .

He was so good , the building vibrated , powerful, and so impressive .
Sixty four years and nothing .
I was quite angry .
Wrong I know in Church but wrong also he was already forgotten .
I always thank our new Organist and compliment him by saying “ I thought ——— was back:”
You gave your time and talent willingly and generously I am sure , sad that such selfless deeds are taken for granted .
I am sure you did not expect a big fuss but a simple “ Thankyou “ ought to have been said.
Viktoria.

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
Bang on the nail Viktoria. Thanks. rj

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 19:09 BST (UK) »
Spent a lovely time with my sister in law ( husbands sister) and her daughter.
We always got on and she was my bridesmaid.
Went to a Golf Club for lunch, I risked Cheese and Onion pie with a lovely salad, it was delicious .Chef said he used Cathedral City orange cheddar .

We exchanged Christmas presents
She had her hair in a new style, very plain but really nice.
We had some laughs as usual.
Eldest son took me as he had to pop in to head office as though retired he does some consultancy work for them .
She lives quite close to his head office.
A most beautiful b&w cat had adopted her daughter but knows his way to s in l’s and tiddkes  there  when his owner goes out .
He was a stray ,but decided to stay !
He is free to go back to original owners at any time .

Stuff being moved from next door, very sad , I wish my son would consider
it , although he said he would at least look at it .
We could knock a hole in the wall so he won’t get wet when he comes for his tea!
He wants Fish and Chips for tea, but I am not really hungry , had a big lunch — for me.

What a lovely day but strong breezes,lots of tree pollen in the air.

S in L and her daughter said we would go to Holmefirth and visit the little Cafe which is a tourist attraction , where ,Compo Simonite , Cleggy and Foggy Dewhurst caused mayhem.
So that will be really nice , I love the programmes.

Near neighbour , across the lane, suggested a street party but decided a back garden one would be better.
My garden is open with a fair sized lawn but if rainy I don’t have room inside so  it depends how many will attend .
We are having a Jacob’s feast at church. Not sure how long that will take.
We will see.

Well must get on , look after yourselves folks .
Viktoria.