Author Topic: Missing daughter  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing daughter
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 20 April 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
LadyHawk - thank you very much.

The 1939 DOB is correct. I have the original birth certificate.

Indeed, I'm afraid that I have most of this information, with the exception of some of the electoral register information.

I do believe that she married Philip Cannell later in life, but she clearly had a number of previous "informal" relationships which are proving difficult. The informant on her death certificate is the son of her sister.

A really big question is her whereabouts in 1911. Probably as suggested earlier living with someone and using his surname. Or perhaps, in some institution. Diffuicult to say.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 20 April 23 15:19 BST (UK) »
Evidently the LMA do have records of the North London Police Court, sadly the earliest is 1909.

Offline genealogyem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 00:26 BST (UK) »
Ive continued to research Alice and it appears that she may have started performing in the music halls far earlier than what was previously mentioned in this thread. The following article only lists her name. Based on there being no other 'Alice Daniels' mentioned in association with the music halls (around this time), I am inclined to believe that this is her.

We know that in April 1890 Alice was discharged from the Islington Workhouse Infirmary and was identified as a mantle worker, and then in the 1891 census she was identified as a general servant. This article would fall in between these events, implying that her first attempt at living off a performers income may have been unsuccessful. I did do some research on serio-comics and apparently it was a fairly common line of work for single women as it offered them a chance at earning a livable income. This is something that she likely would have struggled to obtain as a mantle worker.

28 June 1890                   Music Hall and Theatre Review               London, London, England
POSTERS
Alexander, J. Alexandro. Alger. Arab Troupe. Artel and Lalo. Ashcroft, W. Aubrey. Ballet Troupe. Barrett, T. W. Barlow, Billee. Bass, Torn. Bearded Lady. Beauchamp, G. Beckwith, Miss. Bell Cyrus. Bonehill, Bessie. Braham, Harry. Cairns, Fred. Champion Weight Lifters. Charlton Troupe. Coborn, Charles. Colverd, Joe. Conway, Alice. Daniels, Abe. Dean, Ella. Delevantis, The. Dempsey, Hugh. Dezeno. Donatos, The. Ethardo. Eugenes. Fawn, James. Finney, James Folloy, Frank. Fordham, Fred. Frame, W. J. Freeman, Harry. Geraghty and Gilligan. Godfrey, Charles. Grant, Professor Hanlon Voltas. Harley, Dr. Hartley. Harvey, K ate. Haslam. Hill, Jenny. Home Brothers. Hulme Brothers. Hunter, G. W. Jees (Four sorts). Kaboules. Keeling. Any of the above can be supplied Coloured, price 3d, per sheet, D.C. Proprietor, please note, and keep this for reference. Estimates per Return of Post for every description

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 08:56 BST (UK) »
Ive continued to research Alice and it appears that she may have started performing in the music halls far earlier than what was previously mentioned in this thread. The following article only lists her name. Based on there being no other 'Alice Daniels' mentioned in association with the music halls (around this time), I am inclined to believe that this is her.

We know that in April 1890 Alice was discharged from the Islington Workhouse Infirmary and was identified as a mantle worker, and then in the 1891 census she was identified as a general servant. This article would fall in between these events, implying that her first attempt at living off a performers income may have been unsuccessful. I did do some research on serio-comics and apparently it was a fairly common line of work for single women as it offered them a chance at earning a livable income. This is something that she likely would have struggled to obtain as a mantle worker.

28 June 1890                   Music Hall and Theatre Review               London, London, England
POSTERS
Alexander, J. Alexandro. Alger. Arab Troupe. Artel and Lalo. Ashcroft, W. Aubrey. Ballet Troupe. Barrett, T. W. Barlow, Billee. Bass, Torn. Bearded Lady. Beauchamp, G. Beckwith, Miss. Bell Cyrus. Bonehill, Bessie. Braham, Harry. Cairns, Fred. Champion Weight Lifters. Charlton Troupe. Coborn, Charles. Colverd, Joe. Conway, Alice. Daniels, Abe. Dean, Ella. Delevantis, The. Dempsey, Hugh. Dezeno. Donatos, The. Ethardo. Eugenes. Fawn, James. Finney, James Folloy, Frank. Fordham, Fred. Frame, W. J. Freeman, Harry. Geraghty and Gilligan. Godfrey, Charles. Grant, Professor Hanlon Voltas. Harley, Dr. Hartley. Harvey, K ate. Haslam. Hill, Jenny. Home Brothers. Hulme Brothers. Hunter, G. W. Jees (Four sorts). Kaboules. Keeling. Any of the above can be supplied Coloured, price 3d, per sheet, D.C. Proprietor, please note, and keep this for reference. Estimates per Return of Post for every description

Could these be the same persons as mentioned in above article

Castles are vocalists and speciality dancers of considerable merit.
Abe Daniels, the musical clown, is a master of that sweetest of all instruments, the violin. So clever is this artist that he even essays to make the violin speak ; he is also no mean performer
4 October 1892 Music Hall and Theatre Review

Gaiety Theatre Glagow
Most Enthusiastic Receptions, of America’s Greatest Speciality Artistes,
Alice Conway & Edward Clark supported by following…………
Glasgow Evening Post 04 November 1891

Miss Alice Conway America’s Greatest Song and Dance Artiste……….
06 January 1891 Southern Echo Southampton, Hampshire
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 10:08 BST (UK) »
I think Ladyhawk is correct. The convention is either First Name followed by Surname, with no separators such as full stop or comma, or Surname followed by First Name, separated by a comma not a full stop. The list of names are all of the form “Surname comma First Name”, with each artist separated from the previous by a full stop. So sadly not our Alice.