Author Topic: Berkley Court Clerkenwell St James  (Read 201 times)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berkley Court Clerkenwell St James
« on: Monday 17 April 23 19:24 BST (UK) »
I`m hoping someone might be able to tell me something about Berkley Court which was in Clerkenwell St James.
Several of our family were watchmakers living and, I think, working  there at the end of the 18th Century. I thought it sounded like quite a grand address but I`ve found a couple of photos of it online which were taken at the end of the 19th century and it looks like it was a slum by then!
I`d love to know more about it`s history. 

Many thanks

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Berkley Court Clerkenwell St James
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 23 22:20 BST (UK) »
This might be of interest and describes the general area. Scroll to the next page for Berkley Court
https://wellcomelibrary.org/moh/report/b20056321/112#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=112&z=-1.6346%2C0%2C4.269%2C1.6665

I also found this which gives some photos of plaques for various watchmakers in the area (scroll down quite a way). Clock making was craft / industry that was based in Clerkenwell from the late 17th to the early 20th centuries.
https://alondoninheritance.com/tag/clerkenwell/
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Berkley Court Clerkenwell St James
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much.  I had thought our family were reasonably well off when they were in Barclay Court but I`m starting to doubt that!