Author Topic: Clock Error  (Read 421 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Clock Error
« on: Monday 17 April 23 21:17 BST (UK) »
when I put click on some websites I get an annoying message Clock Error message Your Clock is ahead and prevents me logging to to the relevant page, yet when I check the clock time and date it is showing correct time and date ??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clock Error
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 23 21:27 BST (UK) »
I assume you are on a Mac?

From Google:
Go to System Preferences… > Language & Region. Make sure the correct region is set for your Mac (i.e. the one you are physically located in). Another way you can try to fix this Mac clock error is by removing the checkmarks in Date & Time settings for automatic date and time zone selection to do it manually.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Garrad
I am not on a Mac
I have two laptops both with McAfee, the newer Dell model, no problem, but it's on the older Dell model that I am having the message on saying Real-Time Scanning Is Off your computer is at risk. And Clock Error.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 08:36 BST (UK) »
Again, from google!

Open your McAfee product. in the upper-right corner. Click Firewall (or Real-Time Scanning ). Click Turn On .

From: https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS102904&page=shell&shell=article-view

As for Clock Error, try https://thedroidguy.com/google-chrome-your-clock-is-ahead-1164902

Much easier to help if you mention Operating System, browser; and which versions.  ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 11:20 BST (UK) »
Having searched online (not using google on principal) the three main causes seem to be
Clock or date wrong
Browser cache needs clearing
CMOS battery needs changing

Given that the problem is on your older machine then the CMOS battery maybe getting too old. Try the cache clearing fist.
If that does not work change the CMOS battery. It is years since I did it but I think it may require a soldering iron. Cost of the part pennies. Cost for a man or woman to do it tens of pounds.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks to each of you  I'll have a play with it and if no go then it's time to think of a new one.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 16:54 BST (UK) »
Virtually all desktop machines use a readily available button cell, a CR2032. Because the power consumption is extremely low, even the several-on-a-card ones from a pound shop will last several years. A good quality brand name one can last upwards of a decade. They clip into a holder on the system board, which may be hidden under some other hardware such as the power supply because it needs so little attention.

Laptops usually use a proprietary battery pack tucked into some corner, or rely on the main battery if it can't be unclipped. The laptop I am using now is 12 years old and uses its original real time clock battery.

Whether or not the battery is good, modern operating systems will happily synchronise with an official Time Service. If the time displayed on screen is good, and you are have the correct time zone set, all should be well.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.