Author Topic: Still seeking Susan  (Read 320 times)

Offline gingernut1

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandmother Ann Amplis
    • View Profile
Still seeking Susan
« on: Tuesday 18 April 23 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All

James Biggins b Sheffield 1791                                                                                                                       Susan (unknown) b approx 1790 possibly Limerick

I’m wondering if any of our Irish members or anyone with access to Irish Parish Records can help as Susan is evading me. I have not been able to find their marriage or her parents.   I think she was from Ireland.

She and James had 2 children born there in Limerick.  Henry 1820 and William 1823.  I have no baptism records for them. I think also its quite possible that James and Susan  married in Ireland.    They left  after William’s birth in 1823 and lived in Sheffield, Yorkshire.  3rd and 4th sons John  (1825) and James (1827) were born there.

I know I have asked before but does anyone have access to Irish parish records and could help? 
Many thanks
Midlands - Bradshaw ,Harrison, Hollis, Wood, Mander
South Yorkshire - Biggins, Rusling,Greaves 
London/Islington - Marsh, Keeley, West, Astbury Sweeting, Allensby, Gillman
Lancashire -Clegg, Mander, Harrison
Somerset/Wiltshire - Marsh, Ryall, Trollop
Cambridge, Ely and area - Allensby, Sulman, Muncey

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Still seeking Susan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
Duplicate thread here

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853403.9

I have asked the moderator to merge posts to avoid duplication of info

I noticed you posted a further request on that thread on 7th March.  Unfortunately Irish records for the period you are researching are thin on the ground so if anybody had been able to help - they would have done so

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 19:51 BST (UK) »
I think you are skipping too far back and should focus on the children first - in what religious denomination were any later children baptised, do you have any clues as to where in Co. Limerick they were born, i.e. somewhere in the city or in County Limerick, if so which town or parish ?

As mentioned in the previous reply even the 1820s is quite early for Catholic records, and when it comes to other denominations (i.e. Protestant) not all records are available online or survive, so knowing the denomination and a more detailed location is important with regard to following up on record availability.

Do you have any clues as to why James was in 'Limerick' - due to business or his occupation, maybe in the Army ?

Offline gingernut1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Biggins family were C of E as far as I know and were in the main in the cutlery business.  I have no idea why James was in Ireland.   The place of birth of the sons is taken from UK census records.  I have not researched Ireland before so was not aware of the scarceness of records. I realise there's very little to go on.
Many thanks for replying.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 21:14 BST (UK) »
There is a Fold3 record - Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioners Admissions and Discharges

Jas Biggin 37 yrs
Birth   abt 1789, Sheffield York
Pension date 27th June 1826
Regiment:   Off Commands 6098

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 23 22:21 BST (UK) »
Where are the 2 youngest boys John & James in 1841?

Did James snr & Susan die before 1841 as I can't see them on either the 1841 or 1851 censuses

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gingernut1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been unable to find a death for James Snr or Susan.  They are not showing upon any censuses.   Its our general belief that they died prior to 1841.  There's nothing on Sheffield Indexers / Find a Grave or Free Reg. Its odd they are both missing.  I'm wondering if they upped sticks and moved away for bit.    What a nightmare!!

The children I believe were in Sheffield.  There are possibilities of the boys appearing on the 1841 census but its not clear if they are members of the family shown or have been 'taken in' by relatives. The addresses are definitely of the family.  Its not helpful that they were not adventurous with their choices of names so its not clear who everyone is.....   
I'm going to have a look a some of the Sheffield cemeteries in the hope something turns up.   
Cheers
Ginger