Author Topic: Where? in Banff is that??  (Read 527 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where? in Banff is that??
« on: Wednesday 19 April 23 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for a bit of help from someone who knows Scotland.  I have found 3 baptisms and a marriage all in Grange, Banff, Alexander Shaw and his wife Isobel Merson and their first 3 children but each mentions a place, presumably the village they came from but I cannot find it on a map and need some local knowledge.  It's the name on the second line 'Shaw in ........  I won't put what I think it says until someone asks because I know that will mean you won't see anything but!

Thank you, much appreciated

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Where? in Banff is that??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 09:06 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 09:10 BST (UK) »
Wonderful thank you Forfarian, certainly wasn't written like that in any of the records but puts them down the road from Grange.  Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
Wonderful thank you Forfarian, certainly wasn't written like that in any of the records but puts them down the road from Grange.  Kerry
No, but what is written these days as 'oo' is often pronounced more like 'ee' here, so Balnamoon = Balname(e)n.

And it's actually in the parish of Grange, down (or up!) the road from Grange Crossroads.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 09:41 BST (UK) »
I've gone down a rabbithole looking at the Georeferenced Map you linked.  Wish I was there!   Found a couple of other place names that have changed, such as Edengight is now Edingight.  But again within Grange.  Must get back to the Crossroads.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 09:42 BST (UK) »
The last bit of Balmamoon is the Gaelic "moine", meaning a peat moss. Balnamen is the normal spelling found in the Grange registers in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 11:45 BST (UK) »
An aunt of mine, Margaret Annand, married James Merson on 22-1-1745. They lived in Balnamoon. Their recorded children are:

Thomas bpt. 9-4-1749
Margaret bpt. 1-7-1751
George bpt. 3-4-1753
Alexander bpt. 2-10-1757

You will sometimes find Merson as Muirson. If this is a family connection of yours, let me know and I will pass on the records I have.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 April 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
An aunt of mine, Margaret Annand, married James Merson on 22-1-1745. They lived in Balnamoon. Their recorded children are:

Thomas bpt. 9-4-1749
Margaret bpt. 1-7-1751
George bpt. 3-4-1753
Alexander bpt. 2-10-1757

You will sometimes find Merson as Muirson. If this is a family connection of yours, let me know and I will pass on the records I have.

Hi GR2

Thank you for your reply, I'm actually working on the family for a Canadian client, hence my reluctance to answer as I know some people on rootschat don't approve of people making money from genealogy.

However the family I am looking at is the family of Alexander Merson born 1757 to James Merson and Margaret Annand.  This is getting confusing because Alexander married Isobel Annand.  I haven't discovered the link yet but there must be one.  Thank you for the tip about Merson/Muirson.  Alexander's son took his family to Canada early in the 1800s and my client is a descendent.  If you are interested in talking further please reply. 

Kerry

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 April 23 18:46 BST (UK) »
David Forsyth and his wife, Katherine Wilson, rented land at Millegin in the parish of Grange from the Abbey of Kinloss. They bought the feu in 1569. David was still alive in 1576.

Their son, Adam Forsyth, bought a feu of land at Millegin from Kinloss Abbey in 1569, reserving the liferent to his father.

Adam's daughter, Katherine Forsyth, was married to David Ruddach by 1604. They lived at Auchincrieve in the parish of Rothiemay, but owned land at Fortrie in the parish of Grange. David was dead by 1654.

Their son, David Ruddach, married Elspet Richardson. They owned land at Fortrie and David was an elder of the kirk. He was still alive in 1666. Elspet may have still been alive in 1689.

Their son, William Ruddach, married Beatrix Wilson. They had land at Fortrie, but later sold it. William was an elder of the kirk and died in the spring of 1713.

Their daughter, Helen Ruddach, was married to John Annand in or by 1709. They lived at Paithnick in the parish of Grange. John died between June 1728 and February 1729. Helen Ruddach was still alive in September 1742. Their daughter, Margaret, was baptised on the 22nd September 1723.

Send me a personal message if you want detailed files on all these people.