Author Topic: Baptisms in White Waltham and Wasing 1790-1809. Parents: Charlton / Blay  (Read 273 times)

Offline pandk2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptisms in White Waltham and Wasing 1790-1809. Parents: Charlton / Blay
« on: Wednesday 19 April 23 18:12 BST (UK) »
I have a couple of questions about some baptisms I have been looking at. I have only seen indexes on Ancestry (and apparently sourced from Family Search)—not the original registers. The parents were John Charlton and Mary Blay, who married in White Waltham in 1790. There were about a dozen baptisms between 1790 and 1809. The index records most of the baptisms under both White Waltham and Wasing (separately, though on the same day).
Here are my questions:
1.   Is it likely that the baptisms actually occurred in both parishes (perhaps because of family connections to both places)? Or does the index just use this approach to show that the baptism occurred in one parish but that the family were living in another parish?
2.   The index uses only Mary Blay’s maiden name (Blay), not her married name (Charlton). Does this indicate that the register definitely shows her maiden name? Or could this detail just be something inserted by the compiler?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Peter

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms in White Waltham and Wasing 1790-1809. Parents: Charlton / Blay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 23 18:21 BST (UK) »
Those transcripts may well be sourced from LDS family trees hence the presence of Mary's maiden name.  Berkshire baptism index does not mention Wasing , they are only indexed under White Waltham and do not mention Marys maiden surname
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pandk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Rosie99.
Does the Berkshire Index show other information that might be in the original index, such as residence, or mother's maiden name?

If not, I might need to find someone who has access to the register.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
The few baptisms I selected on the index originally were from BT's.  I have now had another look and some of them are also copied from PR's.  These PR records apart from Betsy have mothers surname as Blay, Betsy is Ward - none of them mention Wasing.

There does not appear to be any mention on that dataset for parish registers for the surname Charlton in Wasing parish.  Obviously they are only transcripts

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 23 15:16 BST (UK) »
Like Rosie, I can only find baptisms taking place in White Waltham.

There are about 7 parishes (depending on the route) and twenty miles as the crow flies between Wasing and White Waltham.  So I would consider it unlikely that the baptisms took place in both parishes on the same day.

A quick search of the film number on FamilySearch indicates that the number covers three different parishes: White Waltham, Wasing and Wargrave.  That may be where the reference to Wasing comes in, perhaps?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pandk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 23 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Little Nell, that seems the most plausible explanation.

Peter

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 April 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Little Nells explanation sounds possible to me as I have a William Birkett Blackow who was baptised in Morecambe (Poulton le Sands)  but familysearch have it as having taken place in Adlington Lancashire which is around 40 miles away.  Both of these parishes are on the same LDS film and I have seen the parish register to confirm that it was PLS and not Adlington