Author Topic: Wm.Henry/Dorothy Best... plus eventual 8 children, Queensland 1881-20th centrury  (Read 634 times)

Offline Doreen Peacock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wm.Henry/Dorothy Best... plus eventual 8 children, Queensland 1881-20th centrury
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 April 23 18:37 BST (UK) »
hanes teulu. The MARY ANN BEST age 72 must have been the mother of THE WILLIAM HENRY WHO HAD THE THREE children who went to Australia in 1883.....it is this daughter in law of the 72 year old Mary Ann Best that needs locating.   What a lot of Mary's; Mary Ann's and Catherine's there were in those days.

My father in law was called after the street they lived in (FRANK STREET....) A good job they didn't live in the next street - it was called MARY STREET !!!    Just thought I'd pass that bit of nonsense onto you - it is true....not a joke. I always thought he was FRANCIS and called Frank for short! cheers.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wm.Henry/Dorothy Best... plus eventual 8 children, Queensland 1881-20th centrury
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 April 23 18:52 BST (UK) »

.....it is this daughter in law of the 72 year old Mary Ann Best that needs locating. 
Already located. See reply #5.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Doreen Peacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 April 23 20:56 BST (UK) »
Neale 1961....... Sorry I missed it!  TROVE... Brisbane, 30th Oct 1917. Yes, it would look as though it could be our Wm. Henry Best.

When and which ship did he travel out to Brisbane?

Would there be anything on death record to say he was born in England; or prove his parents were John Best and Mary Ann Moffat?

When and why did his wife go back to England to live with unmarried daughter Catherine?  Seems strange that she would travel back and leave husband on the other side of the world.

One question answered....and loads more present themselves to be untangled to prove the correct family line. I do wish they had all kept in touch with a letter once a year. Communication is a wonderful thing, and would have made things so much easier to tie up the loose ends and prove beyond any shadow of doubt.  This would make even Sherlock Holmes scratch his head and play his violin while smoking his pipe. lol.

All our lost relatives have led such complex lives...other people seem to sail through the sea of life. We have swamps of muddied waters to sort out of relations

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 April 23 22:15 BST (UK) »
Neale 1961....... Sorry I missed it!  TROVE... Brisbane, 30th Oct 1917. Yes, it would look as though it could be our Wm. Henry Best.
When and which ship did he travel out to Brisbane?
The William Henry who died in Brisbane in October 1917 is a different man. That was previously established.
As already posted, I could find no record of a ships record for your man arriving in QLD. I suggest you look further afield - perhaps he came into NSW or VIC.

When and why did his wife go back to England to live with unmarried daughter Catherine?  Seems strange that she would travel back and leave husband on the other side of the world.

She did not return to England. As previously posted, Dorothy Best died 28 Dec 1900. See QLD BMD index.

Perhaps, go back and read this thread, to better understand the family, before trying to make further progress.

To search newspapers - try here:
https://trove.nla.gov.au

To search for births, deaths, marriages - try here:
https://www.familyhistory.bdm.qld.gov.au
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Doreen Peacock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 April 23 23:24 BST (UK) »
Neale 1961 Thank you for advice and assistance. My grandfather was born to a single lady and married man; with a popular name for the area. His name was originally put on the birth certificate, and then crossed off. But his name stayed on the baptismal cert. After the baptism and being handed over to his adoptive family, his single mother went to Queensland in 1881/2. Aug & arriving in Jan.  She met and married out there; and died young. The adopted family stories had flaws in them, and  didn't all tell the truth - with fact and fiction mixed in, making it more difficult. The popular name of Best,places etc made it more difficult; and especially with the large families with familiar christian names; often with dates and places cropping up more frequently than you can imagine.                                                                                                                                                                            Your help and advice has been invaluable, and has opened up and pushed our quest forward much faster than believed possible. Finally helping sort out the 'chaff from the wheat'.  Thankyou so very much.