Author Topic: Seeking information about a Beefeater!  (Read 746 times)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking information about a Beefeater!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 April 23 09:30 BST (UK) »
Oh wow!!! What an incredible amount of information! This group is quite simply the best. Thank you so much everyone. It is interesting to see that there were two William Jordans in The Lancers, no. 2 may have been a son following his father's footsteps. I will have to dig deeper!
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 April 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all the leads and information about William Jordan. I have been through it all today and it gave me a fascinating insight to his military career. It was very interesting to read the detail about his Attestation and his Marriage to Maria Wheeler at "St. Paul's" and it was great to get their ages. A few questions about this further information.
The 12 Lancers marriage detail simply states at St. Paul's with no location, and I cannot find any other Register entry for either of their names for 1 May 1841, though there is one for 1 April for a William Jordan in Bristol, but no sign of a wife to tie that in. I thought Registrations started in 1837, was the Army different?
No other document that I've found states either of their parents names so I am a bit stumped at the moment. Any ideas for a way forward would be gratefully received.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 April 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
In May 1841 the 12th Lancers were based in Dublin. So I think was the Rev Le Fance but I'm still trying to tie that down.

St Paul's Dublin seems likely for the marriage.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 April 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
In May 1841 the 12th Lancers were based in Dublin. So I think was the Rev Le Fance but I'm still trying to tie that down.

St Paul's Dublin seems likely for the marriage.

Hi Shaun, That is very helpful. From the marriage detail at The Royal Lancers Museum at Derby...... Clergyman's Name: Le Fance, William, J H.      Certification or Adjutant: Capel, Sydney

It seems like Dublin is the location of St. Paul's. I wonder whether a certificate exists? I've not had any experience tracing Irish records, other than through Ancestry.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 April 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
1841 is too early for civil registration in Ireland. Church records would be your best bet.

It appears that William was married again in Reading in 1866, to Ellen Foster, and he appears in the 1871 census in Lambeth with Ellen and lots of Foster stepchildren.

Per the Berkshire marriage index, William's father was John Jordan, a pensioner.

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 April 23 19:06 BST (UK) »
1841 is too early for civil registration in Ireland. Church records would be your best bet.

It appears that William was married again in Reading in 1866, to Ellen Foster, and he appears in the 1871 census in Lambeth with Ellen and lots of Foster stepchildren.

Per the Berkshire marriage index, William's father was John Jordan, a pensioner.

I'd found the Census with Ellen but was trying to prove that it is the same William. I can't find a death or divorce for Maria. I may order the Marriage Certificate in my search for clues.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 April 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
William Jordan applied to the Civil Service for a job as a Temporary Messenger in 1876. FindMyPast has the evidence of age form:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBOR%2FCSEOA%2F095%2F0166&parentid=GBOR%2FCSEOA%2F00030693

He says he was born in Dorchester on 21 February 1813 and spent his early life in Ireland (Kildare Society school). His deceased father John last lived in Roslea, Co Fermanagh.

Service in 12th Lancers is mentioned, and one of his referees is Gaoler at The Tower.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 April 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
"Kildare Society" is presumably the "Kildare Place Society" which provided schools for the poor in Ireland. Nothing to do with County Kildare. It was named after Kildare Place in Dublin.

William named his teacher as a Thomas Irving, which may help in tracing the location of the school.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 April 23 06:34 BST (UK) »
Minor tidbit which I think is the same fellow:

Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette 26 September 1857

CHARLBURY
Appointment.-- Serjeant-Major William Jordan, from the 12th Regiment of Lancers, to Captain Whippy's D Troop Queen's Own Oxfordshire Yeomanry Cavalry, vice Henry Dillow, deceased.