Author Topic: Artillery Attestation Help  (Read 272 times)

Offline SarahRogers610

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Artillery Attestation Help
« on: Thursday 20 April 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me.
I have a Royal Artillery Attestation for my Great-Granduncle but am struggling to decipher what has been written in the 'Transfer to other Corps' column. Can anybody help me make sense of it please?
Many thanks.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Artillery Attestation Help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 23 16:00 BST (UK) »
Which wording is it?  I can't see the headings so don't know which column you mean.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline SarahRogers610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 23 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
It's the writing in red ink in the far right column.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 23 19:45 BST (UK) »
Presumably you have details of his BEM award in 1945 - recorded with his previous service number.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SarahRogers610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 23 20:48 BST (UK) »
Yes I do, thank you.
I have been able to piece together quite a bit of military history for him from 1921 onwards with the 'former' service number (5173691) shown on the attestations.
I'm confused about these attestations and the 'new' number he was given though, as I know that he served with the Gloucester Regiment throughout his military career with the above number both before and after the date of the Artillery Attestations shown here? I was hoping the notes in the 'Transfer to Corps' would help me but I can't work them out.
I have also been unable to find any of his records from when he first enlisted, although I do know that he changed his date of birth from 1902 to 1900 so that he could enlist as soon as he possibly could. Similarly, I can't find any records from when he left the service which would have been post 1946.
I have applied for his Service Records but understand it could be a year(s) before I get them!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 April 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
I know that he served with the Gloucester Regiment throughout his military career

Per the Royal Artillery BEM records as transcribed on FindMyPast, he was serving with 135 HAA Regiment. Certainly Royal Artillery per the Gazette entry.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 April 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
But I see the report in the Cheltenham Chronicle of 5 May 1945 saying he had 20 years service with 2nd Gloucester. Retired as CSM in 1939, recalled later that year.

Offline SarahRogers610

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 23 09:46 BST (UK) »
Yes. I think I'm becoming confused by my lack of knowledge about the different regiments, battalions etc as this is the first time I have researched a military history for an ancestor.

I had 1938 as the date for the Artillery Attestations (I think from FindMyPast) but I'm not sure I have that right?

If this Artillery Attestation fits in after Albert retired and was recalled it would make more sense - after his retirement from 2nd Gloucester Regiment and subsequent recall, he was a soldier with 98th HAA Regiment RA "H.Q" (1939 Register), then by 1945 was a Sergeant with 135 Haa Regiment Ra. He was still a Sergeant with a HAA unit in 1946 but I don't know if it was the same one as 1945.

I naively took the comment on his Attestation about previous service to mean he could not become a soldier with the Royal Artillery, but could I be right in thinking that the Attestation is likely from when he was recalled after his retirement, and that whilst he had a new number on the Attestation, he served with the Royal Artillery but with his old number?

I apologise if I'm getting this all completely wrong!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 April 23 09:51 BST (UK) »
It must be something like that.  After 1920, service numbers were unique to the man so he would have reverted to 5173691 on rejoining.